Rust-colored material falls at Kingston plant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Dec 9, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

TVA is having an analysis done on rust-colored material that accumulated in the parking lot of the Kingston Fossil Plant during a maintenance procedure Tuesday in which oil fires were being used to reduce rust buildup in four of the plant's nine boilers.

An inspection of the plant grounds and off-site areas suggested the material was confined to the parking lot, according to TVA.

Barbara Martocci, Tennessee Valley Authority spokeswoman, said the incident happened as TVA was conducting a procedure to minimize rust in the boilers, some of which have been idled during cleanup operations for the Dec. 22 coal fly ash spill.

The procedure involved filling tubes in the boilers with water, using fuel oil fires to heat the water and draining the water out of the tubes. When an employee noticed rust-colored materials on cars in the plant parking lot at 3:15 p.m. Tuesday, the process was stopped.

Martocci said TVA had alerted the community about the procedures beforehand and when the release occurred TVA reported it to the Roane County Community Advisory Group, a watchdog organization.

TVA also notified the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, which serves as an advisory body to the state's Air Pollution Control Board. Randy Ellis, vice chair of the citizen's group, said he is waiting to see if verification comes from TDEC that the release was contained to TVA property.

"This fallout may have been contained to the TVA property but who is to say it will be in the future?" he wrote on the www.roaneviews.com Web site.

Ellis said he is concerned that in addition to the Dec. 22 ash spill there have been inadvertent releases of materials from smoke stacks at the Kingston plant on Sept. 10, Sept. 18 and on Tuesday.

"People out there do not know what is going to hit them next," Ellis said. "It seems like it is one thing after another."

The earlier releases appeared to involve flakes of sulphur-based materials that had formed inside a smokestack during test burns to see what grade of coal could be used with new scrubbers at the plant. The Sept. 10 release appeared to be confined to the plant's parking area, but the Sept. 18 release sent flakes raining down on the community. A TVA analysis of the materials concluded they were not harmful because particles were too large to be inhaled.

The Tuesday incident did not involve tests, but was a maintenance procedure commonly done at fossil plants, Martocci said. It produces smoke, but she did not know if fallout generally results. It may be hard to compare Kingston with other plants because others generally aren't dealing with equipment that has been idled for months, she said.

"Kingston is a different situation than most plants," Martocci said. "We are not using the units as much because of the spill and because demand has not been high enough."

Business writer Ed Marcum may be reached at 865-342-6267.

2. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    when the tva spokesman was reporting or TELLING tva's side was there any mention of acid cleaning the boilers? I am retired from tva J-ville . sometimes the inside of the tubes will get scales of iron on them and they have to run acid tru to clean. This shouldn't have gone out the stacks but drained into tankers. I do know that if they fired those boilers to clean then there surely was some discharge of aresnic or how ever you spell it. that's not good. But you can bet your sweet ass it wasn't TVA's fault. Did they blame it on the weather like they did the dike breaking. My gut feeling is that TVA is going to sell to private industry.TVA has many smart people working for them ,which is what is part of the problem . They keep them working with their tools and move the dumb asses to management and you end up with what happened at Kingston. that whole mess was completely preventable . I hope they stick um good cause THEY KNEW BETTER

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I used to work down there and after a few years of seeing what was going on, I got out. At first my friends thought I was a dumb@$$ for leaving, but they eventually thought it was a smart move. If I would have stayed, I would have been an old man by now. At least many of my old co-workers look like they've aged far beyond their years. My biggest complaint was standing around without anything to do. I used to take other people's jobs just to relieve the boredom. Some of those folks were so lazy, they would sit all day and try to con you into taking them a drink of water. I was never a whistleblower or a stool pigeon, I don't like that kind of people. But I don't mind now bringing these things to the surface.

4. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know what you mean about Lazy. That has always been a big problem ,bad thing about working for TVA ( Fed Gov ) once you are hired (annual) and you get 6 mos then you are in and about the only thing that will get you fired is busting a piss test. I remember in the 70's when TVA had all the work ,it was a standing joke about working for tva was . come to work 40 hr a week wear you hard hat and safety glasses and you was a good man. You end up with 3 or 4 guys carring 10 men or more . They wear their good men down cause they know the lazy basterds want do anything any way. I retired in 03 and I worked in coal handling and our area of responsiblity was the ash pond also. What happened at Kingston was PREVENTABLE and it wasn't the weathers fault. The problem with TVA is Corporate. Most of the guys working at the plants are good guys and most know what the hell they are doing and try to do it. Then here comes corporate (which most don't know their ass from a hole in the ground ) most have never seen a ash pond but they make the calls from Knoxville or Chatt. I know what I am talking about cause I have the Tee shirt. Ok I'll shut up , I hope it will be cleaned up for you all ,but personally I don't think it will ever get cleaned up

5. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    As I was just in Tennessee at Cumberland Power Plant, where would the Kingston Plant be in relation to the Cumberland Power Plant? Same river?

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    no the kingston plant is in east tennesse, if its not on the Tennessee river is on one the rivers that feeds into it over there.

7. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can see Kingston from I40 on the north side in the Knoxville area. I think it is either is on the Clinch River or the river it is on dumps to the Clinch river.