russian mackoroff

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 14, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    anyone own one of these cold war relics?

i just read an article on these wepons in the new gun world mag. the reviews were good. said these were well built & reliable. i seen 2 the next day at the gun shop for $249.00. there in good shape and he said that he guarentees them. hes a liscenesed gunsmith.

these were issued to spies secret police and high ranking government officials. so im guessing the quaility was good.

the 9mm round is a 9x18 so it wont shoot the 9mm lugers commonly available witch are 9x19. but they have the russian mackoroff rounds for $11.99 per 50. any one own own one. im seriously concidering the purchase.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    My dad has one when he bought it it had a busted firing pin,so he got another one for it and it shoots really well i was surprised.Neat little guns.

3. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I have one its a cz real good shooter small enough to carry and conceal and shells are cheaper than a 380 .:wink:

4. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I have one its a cz real good shooter small enough to carry and conceal and shells are cheaper than a 380 .:wink:

5. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    love mine. It is one of the best shooting hand guns I own.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy I have one that is German built. Several countries made the same gun for Russia. I have the case that has the Russia Star and holds the extra clip. Also a few boxes of ammo.

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    They are well made, reliable pistols. The 9X18 round is a little under powered for serious defensive purposes (just my opinion), being about as powerful as factory 380 acp, but with non expanding bullets. If you reload it has some potential, but a non standard bullet diameter. So all in all they are just good plinking pistols. Just my $.02

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've had one now for several years nice little gun well built for sure maybe a little under powered but for close range defense i think it would do good

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the makarov is one of the most functional pistols out there jeremy.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks fellas. sounds like i cant go wrong.

micky. this one said it was made in poland.

ya as for defensive guns i have a 40 s&w for that lol. looking for a cheaper gun to shoot for fun. with the $249 price i like the gun but i just wish it whould shoot 9mm lugers.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the pistol in the holster is the 40. its a highpoint. paid $207 out the door $18 for an extra clip. shoots good for a $200 gun. my cousin has one too and he has had no problems with it either.

the rifle is a 9mm carbine. i just added these to my collection this past month. the carbine last week. it has an extractor issue. the gun shop i got it from services what it sells so he should be able to fix that. it was $217 out the door. toys to shoot for me and the boys.

12. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have four of these neat guns. My girls use them for self protection. They shoot them a lot so they are comfortable with them. On paper the 9x18 ammo has a bit more power than the 380. They are very accurate and easy to re-load for. For you guys that re-load, did you know that you can make cases for the 9X18 out of 9mm Luger cases? (Yes, I know that the 9x18 uses a larger bullet.)

13. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    For play the Highpoints are ok but I would NOT use one for defense. I have seen FAR to many that fail. Hillsborough county in Fla (Tampa area) tried to get the highpoint carbine authorized for carry use. Highpoint was there with parts along with another local AR builder. After the day was done 22 Highpoint carbines were done and there were robbing parts off of them to keep 2 running because tehy used up the parts they had. The local builder was trying to help them keep them working and not 1 of his 9mm or 223 ARs had a single issue.
    My brother inlaw bought a 40 and it broke, he sent it in and they fixed it, a month later it broke again and they fixed it again and that was in the first 6 months on the original box of ammo. He had to pay for shipping AND the transfer fee which was around $75 each time he sent it in. Now he has $220 in the gun + about $150 in returns for a total of $370 and now when you shoot it 2 times the magazine falls out if you do not hold it. I tried to fix it for him by working with the spring that keeps it in and found where the factory had glued some pieces in the lower.
    It shoots OK but 2 trigger pulls and pick the mag up is not my idea of a good defense weapon. If he sends it back again he will have over $400 in it and could have easily bought a better gun with the money. He said that he wished he listened to me about them and would never own another one.
    I had one I got in trade and just used it in the boat incase it fell overboard, it was in 9mm and I load VERY light loads for it and it did ok. I sold it to a friend that wanted it to carry in his boat when I left Fla.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I own a Chinese Makarov from the Vietnam War area. Only high ranking officials in the NVA were issued these pistols. Nice piece of history you got there!

15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    they are a nice little pistol to shoot, ammo can usually be found at most of the bigger sporting good stores, stay away from bulk ammo at gun shows as they are corrosive buy wolf ammo or a more recognized name.