Runs OK with cover off

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mattmainard, Jul 17, 2009.

1. mattmainard

mattmainard New Member

State:
    Missouri
    25 hp johnson 1999. got it running this year but has been inconsistant. right now it starts and runs but is bogged down until i remove the motor cover. Then it ramps up and runs out great. Also when the cover is on and it is bogged down, it uses a TON of fuel. I have tried adjusting the carb, but that does not seem to effect much. last thing, sometimes to get it started i have to bump the throttle to full. what do you guys think???

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds like your fuel to air mixture is way out of kilter. Think I'd invest in a manual, take my time rebuilding the carb, and double check all the carb linkage adjustments. There is no reason the motor won't run and perform right providing it has good compression and all adjustments properly made.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yep what Lawrence said:wink:

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    You might make sure the fuel line is routed proper and that the cover isnt pinching the line

5. I have the same exact thing going on buddy, and I found out it was a small exhaust leak!:eek:oooh:

When you put the cover on, it would build up in there and start choking the motor AT IDLE ONLY.:angry:

Check your exhaust plate, power head base, and head gaskets!:wink:

I used a digital flash camera at night, it really details where my leak was.:wink:

And using and led light at night you can go around the power head while it is idling and look for smoke:wink:.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    My 90 evinrude was doing the same thing, ran great with the cover off. It ended up being the cover was pinching a plug wire and arching were the cover locks down.