Running water at Eufala?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Brian D, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the corps of engineers say water is being generated,is anybody fishing there this time of year?I have never fished there in the winter,just wondering if it be worth the drive there.Even if it was for sandbass and the occasional crappie or sauger.thanks for yalls help.

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    as of today, generating 5 a.m. to 10 a.m.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Brian... It's always a good time to fish in Oklahoma!.

I don't know much about Eufaula, but when the water's running at L&D16, the fishin is GREAT!

4. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How about some schoolin' on this subject. I take it you're talking about bank fishing. Is the best bet right against the generators or downstream a bit? How's the lock side?

5. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i wouldnt fish the generator side of the dam to many a$$holes over there fish the south side use shad fillets on bottom if they wont hit on bottom use a slipcork rig an fish it about 8 foot deep been awhile since i have been there but last trip there i cought about 140 pounds of fish in 4 hours with a slipcork

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It's not so much bank fishing as it is boulder fishing. Cast right up against the generators, down in the fast water or use a float to hold the bait at about 6 feet... It's all good.

Let the current carry the bait downstream on a snug line. You'll know when you get a bite... they're Blues... Grab and go.

Be sure to prop up your unattended pole very solidly... many rigs have been towed down the river by a big blue catfish.

Lock side is fished like a lake. Watch for an eddy current. Drop a bait squarely in the center "eye" of the eddy and hang on.

Good fishing to you!

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma

Eufaula doesn't have a lock.

I don't have a high enough tolerance for my fellow Americans to fish down there, but for those that do, it can be awesome.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I'm goin to be forced to quit posting after enjoying a nip... I thought he was askin about Lock & Dam 16! :embarassed:

I apologize for the Senior Moment. :roll_eyes:

9. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was, so you weren't as thunk as you drink you might have been. Sounds like a mix of opinions as far as the company. Thanks for the reply. (haven't figured out that "thanked by" thing yet)

10. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We marilyn and I fish the dam real regular when the weather is nice. You can catch nice blues there most any time that they are running water. We fish both sides it is good on both sides and personally I perfer fishing close to the dam on the south side over the fence. You will need a drop basket to get the large fish up the wall, but you can get nice keeper 3-5 pound ones and get them up without a basket if you have at least 20 pound test line. and behind the wing wall is a good place most times to catch shad. On the generator side is good also and you can land bigger fish if you let them drift over to the bottom of the steps. You can fish over the wall into the water flowing from the turbin or cast out into flowing water but you have a much better chance of hanging up and loosing your tackle than the other side. I loose a few on the south side but not manny compaired to the turbin side. I hope that I have helped you some you can also catch skipps by casting jijs into the fast water cast and retreve till you catch as manny as you need. I hope to see you up there soon we will be starting the end of Feb or the early in March.
    Lots of luck

Bill