Running trotlines

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by smells like old liver!, Jun 28, 2007.

1. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    just wondering if any of you bait your hooks before you get on the water? I baited my hooks and laid them over the edge of my cooler and it really saved me alot of time. and the big mess I have most of the time with bait all over my boat...

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The only time I've seen the hooks baited early was when using a jumpbox.

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Like mentioned above, Ive saw them pre baited in a jumpbox but you could also do it with the trotline clips I suppose. I use the clips now for the most part and love them. I run the mainline first then go back and snap on the nibs wherever I want them.

4. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I tie off one end and use my trolling motor while unrolling the line I bait as I go. I also use the clip on type with my drops. by baiting the hooks before you go will save you alot of time. I use to bait my drops and lay them out in my boat. seems like I was always getting bait everywhere and they stayed tangled up in my fishing poles. heres the way I store my drops and lines I took a 5 gal. bucket and drilled holes around the whole bucket 4" apart and about 6" from the bottom. then weaved an elastic cord through the holes. you can hang your hooks over the top of the buckett and place the clip under the elastic. I"ve had no problem with this set up ,It will hold approx. 200 drops them place the trot lines in the center of the bucket for storage. I also snap the top back on the bucket.. and your good to go!