Running Setlines

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by Petsche, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Is there a good place on the Blue or Platte to run setlines? I have found a lot of public access to rivers but how far down river from the public access can a guy place setlines?

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I put them where ever I can. In log jams, up stream from log jams, down stream or just out in the middle of a sand bar with the bait in the water off the end of the bar. I like the blue better than the platte. Where are you accessing the platte at? Blue? Come down to Beatrice at the end of the month and we can run them together. My boy and I will be there in the middle of the day on Sat the 29th we need to pick up bait first. Hopefully see you there.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    BEWARE,,, I spoke with a G&P person today who told me that enforcement people are out using unusual means of catching violators, including setliners who don't label their setlines. Watchout for them riding atv's kayaks motorcycles and other vehicles and wearing plain clothes.

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    After my fine last year I obey them all. I haven't ever sweated Mr Green Jeans. All my poles are labeled real well and if they can find the lines that are tied off on the log jams more power to them. I haven't seen a G&P guy get his feet wet yet. Knock on wood. If I knew of a good way to label the lines that are on the logs than I would. Next time you talk to him ask him of a good way to do that.:confused2: Thanks.

5. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have fished the Blue at Blue Bluffs (I think that is what it's called) and the Platte at Two Rivers. I have not set lined public land before. My friend and I did it a lot on private ground on the Elkorn by Norfolk when I was younger. I wanted to get back into it but I figured public ground is my only choice around Lincoln.
    I am a little worried about other people messing with them. Have you ever had problems with that?

6. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I check my stuff so often that I doubt anyone can get the stuff. Plus unless they know exactly where my stuff is I doubt they can find it. Come to the gathering at the end of the month and maybe we can hook up and I'll show you how we do it where I come from.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    run your set line through a piece of pvc pipe with your ID written on it.

8. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would love to meet up with you in August but I have a wedding out of town. My son and I went out to Blue Bluffs tonight to set some lines on the Blue. I havent been there for a few years but I found out tonight that it is closed to the public due to construction. That was a big bummer; especially after we took the time to catch the bait.
    I need to find a good spot to run set lines. I am considering going door to door to farmhouses to ask for permission.

9. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    where ya from petsche???

10. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Lincoln. Airpark more specific.

11. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    If you look at my set lines I don't use PVC that would ruin my set up. I've heard of people using it but I like my way better. I just need to get some tags for luggage and attach it to the eyelets. But that won't work on the one's that I tie to the logs in the middle of logjams. Find me a good way for those

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    John if you label your setlines...you would be the 1st in Nebraska...

I would just lam-ma-nate a business card so its waterproof and tie it to the end...even if its under water its legal...I think your in the clear tho

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    id just get a trap tag.. ya get like 30 or so for like a buck tag and wire, just fill out whatever you want on it..

14. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Than I'm the first. Never used to do it but like I said before after that fine last year it's just not worth it to break the law. Unless you consider tying them to logs which would make them float lines and then they are illegal. Opps come and find them mr green jeans:eek:oooh:

15. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We never label ours on private areas of the river, but I personally have always labeled them on public access areas.