Running rough 1973 9.8 mercury....

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bellymeat, Dec 12, 2008.

1. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I bought this motor the guy said it wouldn't crank. Took it home rebuilt/cleaned the carbs, cleaned all of the gunk out around the motor, changed lower unit oil, put new impeller on it and put new plugs in.

Now it starts and runs good at times. It will spit and sputter then all of a sudden it runs normal for about a minute or so then goes back to spitting and sputtering. Took it to the river several times to see if running it would help, but it does the same thing there.

Pulled the flywheel and the points looked worn. I have no idea on how to replace them much less adjust the points. BUT I'm wondering if this could be the problem.

Also its cold natured, have to start it with starting fluid.

Parts are hard to find for this motor, but I've had good luck looking around.

Thanks for any help....
    Ron

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes the points can cause one to do that. Post the serial number and I'll see if I can locate the points and condensor for you. OBTW You better loose the can of starting fluid because you fixing to blow that engine.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
  4. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I know the starting fluid ain't good for it, that why I use just enough to start it. Its just an ole ornery motor and probably be better off blown anyway. :smile2:

I'll try and see if I can dig up the serial number, its not on the motor anymore and I don't know where my title is.

It is a model 110, 9.8 --- I've bought most of my parts off of a local dealer who just happened to have some old inventory.

Thanks again Bubba.

Take care...
    Ron

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I thought all mercs. were cold natured .