running other peoples lines

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Johnboy1975, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Just got back from checking my bank lines and I really think that someone already did me the favor of running them. Now I know that someone was down there and its just possible that they didnt run them but I doubt it. The only one with anything on it was where you have to get about knee high in mud to get to it. Plus as I was checking them about midnight last night I had just rebaited one and was working on the next one when something pretty big slammed the one I just put on. So I was expecting a little better catch then a 3pd channel this morning. Hopefully Im wrong but the cigarette butt in my footsteps tells me someone was down there. Maybe Im lucky that they didnt steal all of my bank lines and rebar. I have heard on here some of you take the ones that are unmarked which Im fine with but mine are tagged and game warden certified. ( he checked me the other day and I had them on me and asked him if they were fine). I hope that Im wrong but next time I might set up my trl camera and I will forsure be carrying my pistol with me next time. No I wouldnt shoot anyone over running my lines but I would hate to catch someone doing it and not be prepared for what they would do.....

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    the trail camera is a great idea. i wish i had one. i think i had someone pluckin mine when i had em out. i just have single line on pvc and usually just put out 1-3. i was doin good on gettin some smaller fish until i met a guy down there one morn. ive gotten to know him but there is still some "fishey" (no pun intended :smile2:) business i think. he knows my schedule and he lives close so im still watchin. always seemed that my lines never got anything when he was rod fishin down there but he would always catch somethin :confused2:. i dont have a camera like that so im thinkin bout doin an old fashioned stakeout.

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Only thing I'd be concerned about using the camera is if its dark, they will see the flash. I'd sure want to make sure it was hard to get to. If they'd take your fish they'd probably take the camera too. ​

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are gonna run your lines and steal your camera.:smile2:
    The only way to not have someone check your lines is to set them far from civilization or stay with them.
    Its not right, but it is to be expected today. Thats the world we live in.

5. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    Its sad that there are people out there that are too lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to do there own fishin. Just wish people were honest enough to set their own lines and leave other peoples lines alone. Personally I would set some kinda trap like tying back a branch to slap them in the face when they got close( not bad enough to seriously hurt them but enough to get thier !@#$%^& attention) and maybe they might think twice.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats enough to piss ya off. I feel your pain man. People like to steal my marked legal trotlines.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    John i hope it's not the case that someone is running your lines.

I was on the other end about three weeks ago.I was setting in some timber pole fishing from my boat.I seen jugs out from two differant trees that I knew were someone's lines.I had been fishing there for about three hrs and had caught some fish when i see a boat coming.As this guy came pulling in i was about 20yrs from one of his jugs and he ask if he had any fish on his lines.I said well were about to find out i guess.He repled back that i hadn't cherry picked his lines:confused2: and i said i wouldn't do that.Now If he didn't have two small kids in his boat he would of got a little differant reply from me.:angry:

So I guess in this dudes mind he thought just because I was there that i had ran his lines.And yes he had nothing but one gar on his line when he ran it,and i had a boat load of cats:big_smile::big_smile:

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thers been times when I've been night fishing a spot for a while, only to see a line just barely poking outta the water tied to bank. I beat feet real quick for two reasons: 1.) I don't wanna poke around in someone elses spot, and 2.) I don't want that confrontation of accusing if they show up and find an empty line. Nowadays, I try to look around real close to see if there's anything there before I tie up. Sorry to hear bout your lines being run, but think that slapping tree branch is pretty good. Not so sure bout the camera one. Even infrared, your prob gonna get a pic of someones backside, and even if you got a good face shot, I'm not so sure the agency has the manpower to follow up with hunting seasons getting underway now.

10. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    I would have to actually catch them in the act to be 100% sure, plus like I said I wont get to fired up but its a pain in the rear end to go to all the work just so someone can run them. I realize that I dont own the river, I wouldnt care if someone was sitting there with a pole right beside them I wouldnt even care if they would see one bouncing and go over and see whats on it ( I mean everyone gets a little curious) but just dont take whats on there. Hopefully.....Hopefully Im wrong but it just looks like me and someone else set some lines out. I trying to find a small enough boat that I can carry down to the bank and put in.... That way they would have to walk a ways to check them. Hey atleast they were all still there..:big_smile::big_smile:

11. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I had a problem with two guys running my legal trot line one time. I saw them at a distance early in the morning from about a mile away. Its amazing what a good pair of binoculars will show you. That evening I wove some double edge razor blades into the trot line. I left way before daylight and hid back in a cove to watch the line. They came in right on schedule and started to run my line. A few moments later I think they called me everything but a whiteman, cut my line, and left. I retied it, re baited it that evening and they never came back. Catfishjon

12. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I would relocate them and try to make them harder to find. Hard to think some people are low enough to run others lines.

13. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Im sure that did the trick but I would be worried that it was just some teenagers that needed a good talkin to or a fishing partner...I realize that Im doing this because its fun for me so I wont get to mad but its just the principle of it all.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I wouldnt try the razor blade idea. :confused2:
    I dont like to fish where people have lines set, but I have seen it so bad that you dont have a choice. Lines from almost every branch.:angry:
    I have no probelm with them, heck Ive set a few myself. But I CANT stand to see illegal lines and ones that were left behind.:sad2: Lots of that this year.

15. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    I actually work with a guy that doesnt tag his trotline down at Hillsdale. Now I never have fished that but from what he says there is a bunch of of trotlines on that place. He kinda looked at me funny when I said that I would pull it if I found it. Now I have never done that but I know some on here have and I have no problem with that whatsoever. If someone cant take the time to do it legally then they really dont care about it at all. As far as I know my setlines are the only ones that I have ever seen on the stretch of river that I fish. But then again maybe they are smarter than me and hide theirs better.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guy. I feel for you. I have had that happen at Hillsdale a lot. People are just lazy and having nothing better to do then mess with people's stuff. :angry: Even if you mark your lines legally, people still do not know how to respect your property. I would love to do a stake out and light them up with a big spot light, catching them red handed. Then I would re-bait my trot lines with them!! LOL :big_smile::wink:

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    People messin with others lines is not cool.
    That being said I did release a fish from a limb line once,we were set up camping and someone had a limbline with a flathead of about 20 lbs. hanging off it with just the jaws held above water,after the third day there I swung the boat over and let the fish go,that limb line had not been checked for three days,and that cat had suffered and waited long enough,so I let him swim and hung the limbline up in the tree with a nasty note in a sandwich baggie.I drove by a week later and that sandwich baggie was still up in the tree where the hook was,where I put it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Ive always wondered how many fish are lost to forgotten/left behind lines.
    Even the ones with bare hooks can still do damage.

19. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i like that idea also. the ol stakeout. catch em doin and throw that spot light right in their face with ur hand on the butt of that pistol just in case. poeple do stupid stuff for stupid reasons. hell while ur hidn u can even have a pole out. im not partial to thieves ne how so i hope u get em.

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    dad just got a spotlight cuz mine went down and he had to out do my 15 mil with an 18 mil. what would they think of gettin hit with that ?? :smile2::smile2: