Running lines at daylight!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by coolarrow2, Dec 1, 2007.

1. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We took this picture this morning while running line on the river here at home. Man what a sunrise. We only caught one fish and we threw him back but man was it a pretty day!! I love the river!!

Attached Files:

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I have to agree that was a awesome pic:wink:. What river was that !!!!

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nothing better than a sunrise with rod in hand.

4. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice picture, thanks for posting!

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    That will make you to want to be there!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice picture of the river.

7. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys, That's the Trinity River in south east Texas. Just south of Liberty. I love that river!! Rod and reel, line's, cane pole, bow and arrow, catfishing, bass fishing, gar bowfishing, It don't really matter to me! The water is a great place to start and finish the day. I'm sure we all got those places the we would rather be when the sun comes up!!! :big_smile:

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's about as good as it gets.

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice pic, looks like a nice warm day for fishin

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the pic. It made me feel like I was there with you.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Beautiful pic! A picture says a thousand words. Alot of empty hooks, and alot of slack in the line. Tighten up that line, and I bet you hook alot more fish. Just an observation, and I could be mistaken. Thanks for the pic.

12. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We fish 5 hook throw lines in the river. You can put the bait right where it needs to be with them, for the big flatheads. If we want the little blue cats then we will run trotlines but I don't mess with them a whole lot. I catch all the eating fish I need on rod and reel. I love to run those 5 hook lines! Catch some good cats on them.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Great photo! Sure makes me want to be there!

I've only fished with a rod & reel, on a boat, while on a river. Would you give a little more detail about how you are using the 5 hook throw lines? Are the lines tied to something on the bank, or what?

Thanks,

Bill

14. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, Yes the are tied to the bank. Any branch, root, or stump, something with a little give works better. I made some stakes out of fiberglass rods for when there is nothing to tie too. Then I use a 5lb to 10lb weight at the end according to how much current there is. The lines are around 50' long with 5 hooks. I start 5' from the bottom of the line and tie a staigen on every 6' from there. Then the rest is top tail line. If you need more line to get the hooks out in the river more I just add more line to it. We fish these lines just in front of big snags that are in the river. We tie above the snag to the bank and run the line up river enough so it will hit bottom just before it hits the snag. There the 5 baits will fish just the right spot. Just like you would rod and reel fish a bait. We use #96 twine, and 10/0 and 9/0 hooks for this type fishing. We loose lots of big fish but we catch lots too. I catch and release several 30 and 40lb fish every year, Looking for the monster though. LOL The biggest so far is 67lb. This type fishing is lots of fun but lots of work too. It's a two man at least job but three is better. Good luck if you try it!!

15. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I've been there before, on the water in an aluminum boat, as the sun comes up, and hardly a fish to show for it!:sad2: