Running Lights

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by psychobilly, Oct 7, 2008.

1. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    I did mine myself a while back and I put them on the bow, below the rub rail so I could see to run at night. They were mounted on the center console, but I was blinded at night... I thought I did an awesome job and they work great, heck you can see then for a long ways off, but are they legal???

Nope, but I knew they wouldn't be "legal" when I installed them. I feel safe with them on the water and most game wardens won't mess with ya as long as they werk and they are clearly visible....

Here's a link that may be helpful in your safety. Mine are visible in the angles described and they do not cross paths, but they are mounted on the curve of the bow make'n them illegal....

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/sidelights.htm

Also, ya stern lights... Most boating mfg are putting them on a lil mast on either side of ya stern. I can't stand this! You can't tell which way a boat is heading at night real well.... An actual stern light should be visible 135 degrees off the stern not 360 like most mfg are installing. The Anchor light should be 360degrees and on teh highest point of your vessel....

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/060199tip5.htm

I have a stern light and an anchor light... If you read up on it you will find at night when on anchor, you have an anchor light on only..... Most mfg boats are not set up like this that I have seen....

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_nav.htm

There's not much in this forum on safety so I thought I would get a lil started here. Hope it helps and I'll take critsisum if I posted some incorrect info. PLEASE tell me if I did so I can stay safe on the wader!!!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am not an expert on USCG rules, but it seems to me that of the three links presented, only the third link would apply to most of us fishermen. The imbeded side lights and stern lights are not common, nor required, on our fishing boats. So, if I am reading this stuff correctly, the first two would probably apply to larger boats on salt water.

3. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Your right AwShucks, they aren't common, and I'm no expert either but yes they are required by USCG regulations on any boat under power. It's just most mfg are getting away with it and it's not their responsibility... At least that's what I've read... Not critisize'n here AwShucks, just make'n fer dang good conversation.

read this one

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/images/MiscPics/RulesOfTheRoad.PDF

It's really about being safe out there, and if I conform to these rules it will surely make it one skiff safer specially since I run alot at night, rain, and love that fog at high speed.... hehehe

Oh and fer us that live near the coast, our boats sometimes reach the salt waters...

There's a question.... Does the USCG have rein over all waters??? I know if you build a homemade skiff like mine it has to go to the parks and wild life to be USCG approved. Since my Uncle built mine and he had it done in the State of Alabama I ain't sure on that one..... Hummmm Anybody know the answer to this one???

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I hate to tell you, but my 360 degree "stern" light is legal acording to the coast guards regulations:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/safety/recreationvessels.pdf

Scroll down until you hit the lighting requirements part.

My vessel is under 12 meters. And i prefer my navigation lights to be on while at anchor, because this provides more visibility. With all the idiots we have around here with huge, fast boats and no clue, i feel that any added visibility benefits me. It would not be very smart for me to mount a stern light on my boat, as my transom is only 15inches and wouldn't be very visible with me sitting in the back of the boat. Its very easy to tell which direction i'm traveling at night, as the navigation lights are only visible from the front and sides, so if you dont see them then obviously you are looking at my stern. Slow down at night, and you wont have a problem. And yes, my boat is in the rivers of the chesapeake bay more than anywhere else (salt water).

5. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    cantstopgrandma it wasn't my intention to upset anyone here, just trying to get some information out there cuz.... I apologize if did so...

I don't think I said it wasn't legal for the stern light to be mounted like this, I just don't like it because it is very misleading at night that's all. In fact, it is very much so legal, and I believe one of the links that I posted says something about the reason they did this was mainly for outboard driven vessels as there's not a real good way to mount a 120 degree stern light. The only reason I am able to do so is because I have a fantail on my 20' skiff.... Personally I find it much better at night as I ain't blinded.

I also have an anchor light mounted on top of my out board, as it's the highest point. I think I should have built me a lil mast to get it up there higher.

again I'm sorry if I offened anyone, didn;t mean to.... Just try'n to stay safe.....

6. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Not upset, not offended, I apologize if I came off as such. Good information, but it could be misleading for some. I was just stating my take/opinion on the subject matter. I agree with the blinded part, I usually put a tackle box or similar object on the front deck of my jon boat behind the navigation lights, and i've been given some good ideas to keep the stern light from blinding me, i just haven't decided which way i want to go with this. I also dont go out at night much (its hard with small kids), so I haven't really had a big push to take care of this "problem".

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Matt, I got one of those four foot tall anchor lights. Puts the light up above the face where your not blinded. Think there is way to put a cardboard shield on the bottom to keep even more light out of the boat but not interfere with the 360 degree visibility. And, at four foot above the boat gunwales, there is no way your silhouette will shield the light.

8. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    AwShucks, I've already got one of those telescoping lights that is 4 foot tall. I've seen the light blockers either at boatersworld or west marine, and i've been thinking about how I wanna make one, as i cant see paying what they want for them. The light isn't too bad, but it does still take away from my night vision. I do however like the fact that at rest i have plenty of light to fish with, and dont need an extra lantern or flashlight. My main concern was the 360* visibility. We have a hyatt regency on one of the rivers i frequent. Those rich people in their huge boats seem to either not have any boating sense, or they just dont care. There have been a few accidents during the daylight hours, so i really wanna be visible at night. My 14foot jon boat is no match for a 50 or 60 foot cruiser or cigarette boat.