Running lights

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by solomon, Feb 6, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    anyone run a lot of lights on their boat? I've got some questions for ya:)

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I don't know how many a "lot of lights" is or what conditions you are running them is but I do try to get quite a lot of light up when I am anchored.

3. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I too am looking to install a lot of lights on my pntoon. I am trying to figure out the best way to position and to power the lights.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What kind of lights, how many lights, and how many or often are you going to run them?

5. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am not sure. I have a 28' pontoon with a hard metal top that I am looking to turn into a caztfishing machine. I thought about hanging lights off the front of the top to light up the bow area and am gonna need some lights under the top as well. Need some head lights for docking, and was thinking about some red lights for night... not really sure, just looking to light her up.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The only thing I can think of to light up a boat is to use the L.E.D lights. Hook them up to a switch and power them off a 12v battery. I would think that a couple of L.E.D lights in the right spots on your boat would be enough. I say L.E.D lights because there bright for there size and they draw low amps so the battery will not discharge as fast. If it was me I would get the greens or reds so i would not get night blindness. That all depends on if you want to look like the sun out in the middle of the water or not I guess.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    thinking about a couple of flood lights. Maybe 1000W. Just to be turned on for short periods of time. Motor's got a 23 amp alternator on it.

8. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Shoot me a PM. I have a pretty neat set up for lights that keeps the bugs out and you can see your poles.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What do you need all the light for?

Keep it dark and keep the bugs away. Use an LED headlamp and you'll have all the light you need, right where you need it.

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Has anyone ever tried those solar lights like people put along walkways? I was thinking if they produce any light at all, then they might be good to put 3 or 4 down each side on a pontoon. Maybe enough light to see by without being enough to attract bugs.

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I like to run trotlines during the spring/summer. It's hard to hold the light and pull lines too. Just kind of an all purpose light if I need it.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    When lighting up your boat for night time fishing, you need to keep in mind boating regs. red and green lights are navigation lights so I tend to shy away from them. White light, if anchored is required to be visible from all directions.
    I would think that a yellow light, would be good as bugs wouldn't be as attracted to a yellow light. There are several different lighting options available from LED to rope lights, to LED rope lights. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, and what the desired effect is.

Myself, if I was rigging a 28' pontoon for fishing, I would want to have a couple of lights in the water to attract bait fish. For this I would use the submersible flourescent lights that are available. Then, for General Purpose, I would have yellow rope lights around the inside of Solid top, and along the rail at the floor. I would also include 2-3 spots that could be turned on when needed.

These are however, just my personal opinions.

13. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    The rope lights are a verygood idea. Never thought of them for a boat before. A friend of mine lights up his entire backyard with them. Just ran them around the top of his fence. Very low amp draw and will last for quite a while. Also fairly inexpensive.

Has anyone ever seen 12V rope lights anywhere or would you have to use a power inverter?

14. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I think I solved my own problem. I check into some deep cycle batteries that would run lights for a while and man are they expensive. For not much more I can get a Honda Super Quiet 2000W generator. Of course I can't afford it now, but I'd like to have one anyway, so I'll save for it. They're not very big, only weight about 50 lbs, (batteries to do the same thing would be about 300 lbs), and don't burn hardly any gas. I think the generator advertised as running close to 8 hours on a tank of gas at 1/4 throttle. I could run whatever I wanted with that!!

15. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    A generator seems like a decent idea for powering whatever lights you would want to use. My only thought with that, considering you are on a boat, is this. How much noise and vibration are you going to be sending into the water? If this is a pontoon boat, how much is the floor going to vibrate under your feet? Just a couple things that popped into my head and thought you might have overlooked.

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    The one I'm looking at is extremely quiet. It kinda purrs. You could easily hold a conversation over it. A friend of mine got one after Katrina and it is a very impressive generator. It's compact and fairly lightweight, 15 hours runtime at 1/4 throttle on a tank of gas, and its got a DC battery charger. Of course it vibrates a little, but it feels about like the vibration you feel from your car engine. Maybe that's not a great example but it doesn't vibrate much. From what I've seen, it's well worth the money.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yep, just google 12v rope lights

18. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I put white reverse trailer lights on the outside of my boat. They are waterproof and keep the bugs on the outside of the boat but you are still able to see your poles really well.

19. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Just a thought, if the underside of your top is light colored or white it should reflect really well kinda like trough lights in a house. The idea is to make the light reflect to where you need it. You could do that with rope lights along the edges. great idea. I might try to find some myself. LED is the best as far as power goes.

20. jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick New Member

I went to the auto parts store and bought 4 license plate lights. installed one on each corner of my toon just below the seats, lights the floor very well. Wifey says its very romantic also......