running lights, PLEASE USE THEM!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just read the info about the boating accident last night, don't know all the details but have to wonder if they didn't have any runnng lights on or no rear light. Every year when fishing below the dam I see people out there with NO running lights on, no excuse for this at all. I've even come close to hitting some of these boats as I'm running downstream, only thing that saved me was they turned on their lights just as I was getting close. I stop and explain the Missouri laws to them which usually ends up in a heated exchange of words because they think its okay to drift in the main channel with no lights on until a boat starts to approach. Sorry to rant here, just gets me really upset to hear about stuff like this. Also, it does little good to have a rear light that its elevated only a foot because other boats in front of you can't even see it, per the law it is supposed to be visible 360 degrees. Happy Fishing everyone! Chris

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats too bad about the accident. I agree. Thanks for the reminder.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You hit on one of my pet peeves!:angry:

I don't like the anchor light blinding me or the bugs either but I ALWAYS have my lights on and visible.

I guarantee you when I see a blob out there that doesn't look right and it turns out to be a boat with no lights on I am gonna spotlight you way more than I have to at 3 million candlepower because you tick me off. Way too many boats on the river at night with no lights!

It is a safety hazard to every other boater out there to run in the dark, or anchor in the dark for that matter.

I am working on about an 8 foot tall telescoping anchor light this spring to take care of the blinding issues! There are ways to be safe and still be comfortable.

Comfort to me is also knowing other boats and barges can see my position well before they accidentally run me over!

If I worked for the water patrol you betcha I'd run at night and write every ticket I could. Too bad they are hardly ever out at night!

It's just foolish to turn your lights off plus you are endangering other boaters!:angry:

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the support Skipeye! I'm a Deputy Sheriff, not a Conservation Agent or Waterpatrol Officer. Here in Missouri we have a night time speed limit of 30 mph which my 14 ft Jon and 25 hp will barely do if that. Sometimes its so dark that you can't even see anything but a dark blob, and thats when its right in front of you and almost too late to avoid a collision. And, sometimes they don't even turn on their lights at all. I usually stop and ask them to turn on their lights so someone else doesn't hit them, laws are there for a good reason although the bugs to get annoying which I understand. What gets me is when I stop to ask people to turn on their lights, they are usually yelling at me for almost hitting them, go figure! Not trying to get a huge debate or yelling match going here, just wanted to shed light on a subject that I feel is important. Chris

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One thing on the anchor light blinding you, you do not have to use your stern light as an anchor light, you can add another light anywhere on the boat for a anchor light. I'm going to mount one forward of the console, where I will be able to get it a little higher and get it out of my line of sight when fishing off the back.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thats what I am thinking. I'll keep the normal 42 incher on the back when running. I plan on having a seperate location for the TALL one I will use while anchored and fishing. I bought a telescoping Anchor light and will replace the bottom tube with a 6 foot 3/4" aluminum tube which will fit perfectly. Just remove the electrical connector and other fittings, extend the internal wiring and will be good to go. Probably will position it somewhere forward on the boat so I am not even looking at it.

7. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    GUYS I ALWAYS THINK YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR LIGHTS ON AT NIGHT... IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE. BUT BOTTOM LINE IS... SLOW DOWN AND DON'T RUN SO FAST IF YOU ARE MOVING. I DON'T CARE IF YOU GOT GPS OR THE MOST POWERFUL SPOTLIGHT. YOU STILL CAN'T SEE STUMPS AND FLOATING OBJECTS IN THE WATER THAT WELL. ALL THAT STUFF CAN KILL YOU TOO. IF IT'S DARK I DON'T EVEN GET ON PLANE WITH MY BOAT. THAT GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO AVOID ACCIDENTS. IF YOU RUN FASTER THAN THAT YOU ARE ASKIN FOR IT. IN A BLINK OF AN EYE A PERSON'S LIFE CAN BE CHANGED FOREVER. RUNNING A BOAT AT NIGHT IS DANGEROUS PERIOD!!! ACCORDING TO THE POLICE REPORT THAT GUY RAN THE OTHER BOAT OVER FROM BEHIND. HE WAS GOING TOO FAST IF HE COULDN'T AVOID THAT. NOT TO MENTION THE OTHER GUYS WERE'NT THINKIN EITHER NOT HAVING RUNNING LIGHTS ON. THE WEATHER WAS TERRIBLE ANYWAY RAINING HARD OFF AND ON ALL NIGHT. THE WHOLE DEAL MAKES ME SICK THINKIN IT ALL COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Say ah Jim,

I think your cap lock button is stuck on..

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I just added a two pin socket next to my running light and when we are setting or what ever I/we use a 42" anchor light up front, Even asked DNR here in Illini and they said that they had no problem with that, as they would rather see this than none..... works well and was nothing to add.......... But when running I also have a wide angle running light (spot type) that goes into the same 2 pin plug (does not drown out the red/green) works very well also. Very Good Reminder, thanks for the post!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There is certainly validity to using your lights MOST of the time while on the water at night. However, there are exceptions to the rule in MHO. Nine times out of ten we are tied up on the edge of the river in the snaggiest places possible, WELL out of the way of anyone traversing it. NO ONE traverses these areas at speeds above an idle. Certainly if we see another vessel round a bend in the stretch of river we are fishing, we immediately cut our lights on to notify impending traffic. It's pretty much a common sense issue to me. Yes it would be ignorant to tie up in a "traffic" area and not run your lights, or wait until an approaching vessel is right upon you to cut them on. The law says run them ALL the time. I only cut mine off when completely out of harms way. Keeps the bugs down, and lights spook the flatheads. Just my humble opinion.
    Bill in SC

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just do whats right and be SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If I'm anywhere near the channel or taking a snooze my lights are on. If I'm off channel fishing and awake, the anchor light is generally off. Not nearly the traffic on the MO where I am compared to the Mississippi. I'm far enough out in the middle of nowhere that it's quiet and you can hear another boat a looooong way off. My pet peeve is goofs RUNNING with their lights off. I've about hit a few people like that. Or another favorite of mine is someone anchored dead center of the channel fishing an outside bend with no lights on.

13. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    I am always nervous on the water at night, I keep the spot light close and if I see or hear another boat approaching, I hit the light a couple of times to give warning.

14. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    running the river, the running lights are a pain to see the shore lines.I know everyone agrees,but if you turn them on and off every 20 seconds then you should be safe. even if someone is coming up or down river, they will see you.

even if they're running 50 mph, I've seen it.running at night or in the fog, i've seen people running way to fast.

I guess GPS has alot to do with this.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As mentioned in a previous reply, the GPS ain't worth a hoot for indicating floating debris, or semi submerged objects. Running a river wide open at night is the same as Russian roulette in MHO. Play with it long enough and it will kill you.
    BB in SC

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    next time they argue just pull out the cell phone and call in a complaint to the d.n.r. its illegal and bull sh&^. this has caused many accidents and deaths. no excuse for it. i agree. if your battery is to weak to run em all night get a new one or stay on the bank. no excuse for breaking a safety law.

its not the idots i worry about! is me hitting them. this is dangerous to all on the water.

17. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I had the same thought's SkipEye, How about using red LED with an LED strobe pulse module. One module I found will flash any 12volt LED up to 3 amps.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well to be honest with ya...I do what Branden does. If I am anchored anywhere near the *traffic* channel, those lights stay on. If I'm anchored near the bank I will sometimes turn the lights off.

Let's face it gentlemen, good common sense will take a man a long way. I would have to say that a good percentage of boating accidents that occur at night have the element of alcohol involved in it. I've seen it several times out on the river, guys drinking heavily out there. Everybody knows that booze can completely distroy a mans common sense. That's why alcohol is NOT allowed on my boat. Fishing at night requires all your senses to be at a peek level at all times. Alcohol only dulls the senses! Believe me, I like my vodka and occational beer, but out on the river is not the time and place to be drinking, especially where I go fishing with all the barge and boat traffic.

Anyway, that's just my whole $.02 worth. Thanks for reading!!:smile2::smile2:

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    And its smart two cents worth too. :wink::smile2:

Common sense does indeed go a long way.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Todd, To be legal it needs to be a white light. I wasn't sure if you were referencing a PWM circuit that flashes over 100x per second, invisible to the human eye but used to control perceived brightness, or an actual flashing red light. Either way it might be very visible, but won't meet the legal requirement for an anchor light. Not that I think there will be anyone out on the Missouri at night enforcing it.