Running a Bait Shop/Bar

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lazer20, Oct 9, 2009.

1. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    :eek:oooh:Currently I am in the army and will be getting out in 2012. I have been taking some classes in buisness and will be getting a liqour license within the next year. My goal is to own a bait shop/bar and I have been researching the bait shop portion for about a year now. I was just wondering if anyone on BOC owns a bait shop and had a few tips, maybe something I have not thought about or covered yet. Thanks, also would you spend friday night at a bar sharing a building with a bait shop?

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Heck yea I would spend friday night at the bar at the bait shop. You could spend all friday there and buy some bait to rub on the hands before going home to the old lady:smile2::smile2:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thank you for your service!! :big_smile:

Things to think about,,,,,

Wow! You are not going to get much sleep! Bait shop open early + bar open late.

Would be best to allow for employees when you run the numbers.

I reckon if I was going to do it, I would want to figure out a way to keep them separated. Drunks near my bait tanks and tackle does not sound like a good idea. Maybe split the building front to back, or side to side.

Bait/tackle shops in my area seem to do best when combined with hunting supplies, primarily archery.

Bars anywhere seem to do best when they can attract the ladies. If you can get the girls to come,, the boys (who will $pend at a bar) will not be far behind.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    There is a bar here called "The Bait Shop". :big_smile:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How many years will you have in at 2012? The reason Im asking if your close to the hump then retire at age 38. If I had the option of staying active again I would have. That being said you could have some very interesting drinks served up like Shad surprise or eat the worm :smile2:

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    A bait shop and bar in the same building:crazy: I dont think the world is ready for that!!!! Now listen check my sig line and tell me something??? Do you think the world is ready for fish that grow another foot for everydrink?? World records will have been caught and released with such frequency it would be a mute point to even bother from here on out :smile2:

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Here we had a place called the Ice Dock it was a drive in Ice /Beer stop and sold worms and frozen shad.Quater mile up the road toward the Lake there is a Bait House (Black Jack's Bait) people would Load up the coolers at the Ice Dock and drive the 1/4 mile up the road for the Bait. Only time the Ice Dock sold any Bait was when the Bait house was closed.I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe not a full Bar along with the Bait but it sure would be handy to have the ice and beer right there.
    Loop

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Location , location , location if you are in the right location anything is possible.Look no further than Johnny Morris , his dad ran a liqour store.He sold tackle and bait to the fisherman coming up to fish from his dads package store.Johnny Morris of course is the founder of Bass Pro Shops....:wink:

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "A bait shop and bar in the same building:crazy: I dont think the world is ready for that!!!!"

Years back, there used to be,, and may still be,, a liquor and gun store in Lexington KY.

Guns and booze, I always wondered how many people that place had killed. *Yes Mr. cashier, I would like a 1/2 gallon of Four Roses, a 38 revolver, and one bullet please.....*

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    One in front and one in back, or side by side, get ya folks going fishing and on the return for a cold one. Probably not good in the same building, but I don't know how folks are in that area. Also it depends on the type of people in the area, some places it might work, depends on lots of things.

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Good idea..if you got the right spot.Als bait and beer has been in Louisville for years..The main thing is if you start a bait shop start small and work up to your masters..:wink:

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    FOOD. Your going to need a grill. Unless you want em to eat your bait. There goes the profits.

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    if your going to have a bait/tackle shop have the gear that you cant find easily in the area or atleast at a better price sometimes hard to do but i know around here if i want any weights bigger than a 1/2oz egg sinker i have to make them or special order them and then spend 5x what they are worth basically let your customers know that you can and will beable to get gear that they may not have been able to get else where convienence is the best thing and walmart dont carry any good gear any more so thats one less competitor

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The Secret to making this bait bar thing work out is to have you some Hooters Girls dippin the Minnows in the bait buckets and to have the bait tanks close to the floor :wink: Yup that should do it!!! Good Luck,J.D.

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    JD You're on to sumpten I bet that would be where many a fisherman would go to get their minners dipped.:cool2:

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nothing like gettin drunk at the bait shop! rock on! ill have to come see that

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hell, throw in a laundry mat while your at it, LOL.

-Jim-

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I agree with JD. One at atime.

19. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    there is actually a bait shop/bar at lake Wateree when i stop in there to get anything just before dark there are always tons of motorcycles parked out there so there are plenty of people that would go to bar that is part bait shop. good luck

20. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina

if you had that i would come get bait even when im not going fishing