Run-in with a barge

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bedbug jr, Sep 4, 2009.

1. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went out this afternoon to try my luck and pulled in behind a wing dike. Got a few short hits, just enough to keep my interest, and got out flanked by a barge. Luckily he was going downstream but his backwash put me into the rocks. I waited about ten minutes and decided to get the flock out of Dodge--fired up and put it in reverse and kerplunk, starter would bump but not turn over. About 10 or 12 miles from ramp so off I floated with the trolling motor to keep me in the channel. The kid called and asked how it was going and he pushed the panic button when I told him. Anyway, he ended up calling the fire dept. and they launched the rescue boat and they met me and towed me back to the ramp. Shelled my lower unit so I guess I won't be buying any more new equipment for a while:smile2::smile2: To the shop next week and the kids tell me I've drawn a time out--no more river by myself for a month which will overlap my upcoming surgery and recovery:eek:oooh::crazy::crazy: Yeah, right!!! Check out my heroes. Kudos to the rescue team:cool2: Stay safe and watch out for the sneaky barges!!!:wink:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    man that sucks. but at the same time good story i liked it. funny how things tend to work out.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am just glad you are ok equipment can be replaced you cant

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Glad everything worked out for ya Larry. Hope they didnt charge for the tow.:smile2:
    Trolling motors can be life savers sometimes. Sorry bout your motor.:sad2:
    Good luck with your surgery.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry to hear that Larry.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    glad your ok Larry.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tried to buy them dinner but they wouldn't take my money so the next time they're on duty I'm going to BBQ a coupla slabs and fix them some cole slaw and trimmings, that sounds pretty good so I may just stay and join them:smile2::smile2: Those guys do a hell of a community service that goes beyond putting out fires. Stay safe and kudos the the guys and gals in uniform!!!:wink:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glad you made it home safely. Home much is the repair gonna run ya?

9. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    larry id like to be there when you do that. to all of u in uniform that help us all out. thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't know yet Sarge, gonna run her in tomorrow and I'm taking a very large towel to soak up the tears:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and keep the short timers calendar updated!!!:wink:

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good you made it back okay, Larry. You know all you had to do was call me and I would of run up and towed you. Your welcome to ride in my boat anytime, we will have to hit the river again before your surgery. :wink:

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Glad everything worked out and you are safe. Good luck with trhe repairs and I would like to add my thanks to the men and women in uniform.

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    First me and now you. I'm tellin ya them dam rocs is out to get us. LOL! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Lets hear it for the firemen.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm glad it wasn't worse for you too also. This is why I like to do most of my fishing UPSTREAM of the boat ramp. LOL The river can put you in a sticky situation in a hurry. One minute you're fishing and having fun and the next you're sweatin bullets and wondering if they'll find your body. I had a similiar incident with the panic button myself. My buddy and I were tracking a deer in the woods after dark. Our flashlights died and we weren't sure where we were at. I called my girlfriend and said "listen carefully, I'm turned around in the woods. I'm fine but I may need you to come and pick me up when I find the road and take me back to my truck. I have enough battery left on my phone to make one more call so sit by the phone and wait....Simple, right?? WRONG!! everyone and they're brother called me, my phone died, and by the time we came out of the woods there was an ensemble of rangers and local troopers flashing lights and shooting guns in an effort to guide me back to safety. I was so embarrassed. Mad too! I told her to just come and pick me up when I called her and it turned into a search and rescue. But, I know that if something ever did happen the guys in uniform would be there in no time to help. IN NUMBERS !!:embarassed:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  15. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Glad you got back alright Larry!! :big_smile:

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Glad your ok an not all is lost. Material things can be replace but life cannot.

17. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Man-O-Man, for that kind of reward I would drive from Indiana the next time you need help bedbug, just give me a call and I will be on the way. Yum, Yum, ribs an cole slaw, how much better can it get. Glad you are OK, there are a lot of your BOC brothers look forward to your comments on here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  18. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Glad you are ok and hopefully the lower unit can be repaired. I had gears go out in a Merc 35hp and the the rebuild was gonna be steep, got lucky and bought a used one for $400.

19. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    Glad you got out safe and sound.
    Best wishes on getting motor repaired.

20. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Boy; Does that ever bring back memories. It was '63, my friend and I were hunting rabbits after school. We tried to cross an old clay pit and I had one of my boots pull off in the sticky blue clay used to make field tile. We laid down some old boards and tried to pull the boot up but it just would not budge. My Grandmother lived about 1/4 mile away so I told him to go over there and get a shovel and we could dig my boot out. I am up on the hill side chasing some quail I heard calling when I looked up and there must have been 50 people coming across the other hill with ropes, ladders and all kinds of tools. My Grandmother had panicked and call the local rescue unit and told them I was caught in quick sand and didn't have long to live. I have repressed the memory of that day for 45 years, there are just some things you don't really need to recall. OH, I forgot to mention that I had managed to get the boot out on my own before the "rescue" was attempted. And don't get me wrong, I still appreciate all the people that made an effort to help me.