Rules of the boat!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just thinking here and thought Id drum up some good conversation with everyone who owns a boat, and the rules for those "along for the ride".
    Ill start with a couple and feel free to add on....

1. I am the captain and ultimately will make the final decisions. ( right or wrong)
    2. if your on my boat, you better have a strong back since youll be "Anchor bitch" and I love to fish 60-70 ft of water...
    3. You get the pleasure of backing the trailer in and out while I do my best to launch and load with out smashing or breaking something. :eek:oooh:
    4. its your job to ask about drainplugs, charged batteries,safety chains, fuel levels and any funny noises.
    5. Did I mention that gas is expensive and you will be required to pay your half of both boat and vehicle gas costs.
    6. Bringing lunch and or bait goes a long way towards getting another invite...:wink:
    7. Please do your best to not pee all over the boat, thats my job...
    8. Please bring your best game in the rare case I need a net job or picture taken

Im sure you can come up with others but those are the standard ones I start with, of course as captain, I can switch, modify or change any of the rules at any time and will always be right ( see rule # 1)

Salmonid

2. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Number 5 should be number 1. I would only add one thing. I choose where I cast and you can cast after me.:wink:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My rules also. Add in BYOB!!

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    things on my boat are pretty simple.......

1. dropping, kicking, or sliding things in the boat ARE PROHIBBITED! This is the quickest way to get a butt chewin from me.
    2. All spots to possibly fish are open for discussion, however, I will probably anchor and fish each spot to my likings.
    3. Any quality fish caught will be released after photos. don't even ask to keep it!
    4. Rods will be placed to my likings as well, especially if you are using my tackle.
    5. Any area fished is top secret! If I see or hear about you dragging your buddies back to the location, it will defenetly cost you ever going again, and most likely a friendship!
    6. re-read #5 again to make sure you understand, before it costs you a swift kick in the nards!
    7. enjoy the experience
    8. and last but not least, you never leave the boat to tell others about getting shut out. If you have morals, and religious beliefs that keep you from lieing, leave them at the house before you show up...lol...

Boat Moto "Early To Bed, Early To Rise, Fish All Day, Then Make Up Lies":wink: rollo

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    These rules sound standard to me! Thanks for the laugh and the good post. YOu could turn this list into a serious checklist for pre fish inspections.

6. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Wow I'm glad none of you guys are the captain of any boats I ride on. LOL!!!!!!!!!

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I knew there was a reason i own 2 boats:smile2:

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Boy I'm glad I have a boat, I can't see being classified as an "Anchor Bitch":smile2:

My motto is is that each pulls their own weight. If I invited you to come with me, why should I expect you to pay for anything? Now if you asked to go, I can see some expectation on your part.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Some good points guys, I forgot that it was assumed on my boat, ( since I know who I am inviting) no keeping of fish, and that I only invite those within the "circle of trust" regarding hot spots and there will be no "BYOB" and smoking/farting only if you are downwind....:smile2:

I suppose in the rare case that I truly invited " a casual aquaintance" vs a buddy going, that Yes, Id certainly cover the gas and probably even lunch as well as the equipment/bait. I have done that plenty of times. I was more thinking of your regular boating partners.

Since we fish out the back, the spots are typically preset across the back of the boat where sometimes Ill be in the better spot and sometimes they will be in the better spot, Im just glad that someone is catching some fish.

Salmonid

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think for me its mostly I have to be in control of the situation. Especially if im taking someone that doesn't go much, esp. after dark. A new guy trying to fish from a boat at night can be a disaster! If I keep things to my standards, I feel we have a better opportunity of being productive that night. Nothing worse than going and having everything work against you! If I keep it routine for me, it makes it alot easier on everyone and seems to be better that way.....rollo

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You don't! Cuzican owns them an "allows" you to use them on occasion.:wink:

I can add a couple of rules I have on my boat:
    1. If the boat is moving, life jackets are worn by all aboard.
    2. There is 6 rod holders in the boat. That means there are only 6 rods coming aboard, regardless of how many folks are aboard.
    3. I don't mind sharing tackle, but if you insist on bringing your own, I have a place to stow it and thats where it will stay unless your getting something out of it.
    4. You hungry or thirsty? Not my problem, I don't share my food or drinks.
    5. I have a trash bag onboard. If you try real hard, perhaps you can figure out why it's there.
    6. If ya don't like getting wet, why in the hell did you agree to go out in my boat?:wink: (My avitar is like that for a reason)

12. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    *1)If ya wanna go just ask, most of the time boat is full of gas as well the truck. If not I usually fill em both up.

*2) Wife will make us lunch and I have plenty if cold drinks.

*3) Don't mess with the anchor I got it.

*4) I'll throw the cast net(I love catching bait)

*5) If you don't like the way I position the boat just tell me how you want it.

*6) You can cast out first that way I won't crowd you.

*7) If you like one of my holes I don't mind you bringing a few friends back.

*8) You can sleep and I'll wake you when your pole goes down.

*9) I'll bait the hooks no need for both of us getting nasty and since I'm doing that I can tie hooks on when we break off.

*10) Since my hands are nasty let me fillet those fish for you.

*For all rules with* please read fine print clearly

All rules are subject to change based on company and gender of fishing partner at any time and at any location. Chances are your gonna be expected to provide at least 50% of all cost, your friends in my fishing hole is subject to one lost friend,I don't clean fish and you will only get so many to keep and clean, bring your own lunch and drinks she's my wife not yours, if I catch bait you pick em up and take care of em, taking turns with the anchor is always better, don't crowd my area to fish and visa-versa, we will try my way and yours, I ain't ya momma, bait your own hook and tie your own rigs, sleep at your own risk if your asleep your gonna be net boy.

13. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I work off the "KISS PRINCIPAL"

K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid
    Now thats just for me!

I only have two rules.

!. Be Safe !
    2. Have fun!

Hey! my boat my rules!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I rarely ever fish with more than one other person as my 16 foot skiff is most comfortable that way. I occasionally fish with three. All I ask is that:

1) Do NOT help me launching or loading the boat, other than perhaps holding the bow line, which is not necessary unless you just happen to be there.

2) I currently have six rod holders. Three for you and three for me. You can have whichever holders you choose as I had just as soon, and most time rather YOU catch a nice fish then me. I've caught my share. I do plan to add four more rod holders soon.

3) NO LITTER! NO EXCEPTIONS!

4) NO alcohol IF your demeanor changes when you drink. IF you can drink and act like you got good sense, drink all you want.

5) Bring YOUR OWN rods, tackle, food and drinks. I get perturbed if you come fishing without the "stuff" you need.

6) IF you have money to help offset costs, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. My boat gets great mileage and I can fish ALL day on about four to five gallons.

7) Unless you are familiar with my home river system, let ME locate the fish. They are NOT ALWAYS in the deepest holes in the river, and it does sometimes require some looking. Be patient, I'll find 'em.

8) Be ON TIME! I'm not sitting around at the boat landing waiting half a day when there's fishin' to be done. If you run into a problem en route, please give me a courtesy call on my cell and let me know what has happened. If you need my assistance, I'll be there in a jiffy.

9) I catch and release most BIG blue cats. If you want to eat some, let's keep the smaller ones. IF you want to keep a big fish, and you are going to clean it and eat it, I'll make an exception for a big blue or channel. ALL big flatties are returned to the river.

10) When you fish with me, be prepared to stay a FULL day unless otherwise specified beforehand.

11) If weather is threatening beforehand, please bring your own umbrella. Mine is just big enough for me. Unless lightning is popping, I will fish right through a pour down. I sometimes have my BEST luck during inclement weather.

12) Last but not least, please try and stay relatively still and quiet. As mentioned in anther reply, please refrain from dropping stuff and bumping around in general. Violation of this rule could easily dictate whether you have a successful trip or not.

Hope my "rules" don't seem to harsh. I think the are very fair.

Bill in SC

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well said Bill, Ill follow those rules on your boat anytime!!

Salmonid

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok Im ready I can follow any of those rules. Really I can but I like to talk is that cool I know you guys like it quite but I hate super quite I get ansy :smile2:. Ill be an anchor bitch Ill fish up front :tounge_out:

17. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    If you are of a size that takes a special life jacket--bring it with you. other than that I got every thing we'll need.
    and as of lately--I'm begining to think everyone should share on the expenses of a fishing trip. I've quit asking people who don't fish to go along, the risk is to great.

18. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Only if you WHISPER:0a10:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    This talk about helping out with expenses reminds me of another rule:
    Offer to help out with gas for both boat & truck. I won't accept, but if you don't offer, I won't invite again.

Best arrangement I ever had was with an old man in Texas I used to fish with. One trip was with his truck, his boat, he paid all costs. Next trip was with my truck, my boat, I paid all costs.

Worked out great for many years.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Really I can but I like to talk is that cool I know you guys like it quite but I hate super quite I get ansy :smile2:. Ill be an anchor bitch Ill fish up front>

LOL! Certainly you can talk! I like conversation, especially discussing catfishin' strategy. It's a common sense thing. Just talk quietly and don't get boisterous. (unless a hog is caught... celebrations and high fiving are mandatory) Also, when you sit down after standing, don't just plop down sending a SHOCK WAVE through the hull and into the water. Ease your tail down please! :smile2: Nothing ticks me off worse than that!
    BB in SC