Rule Pump question?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bnt55, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I just installed a 750 gph pump on my baitwell tank and I am not sure it is pumping to full potential. When doing the math, that pump should pump 12.5 gpm (minute) and when I pump out my tank it takes like 5-7 minutes with only 25 gallons in it! Is there a possibility of incorrect wiring (backwards) or is it just the way the pumps are? I was hoping for a hard stream out my spray nozzle (look at picture) to make the tank water spin real nice, maybe I need a smaller diameter outlet to add more pressure to the system.:confused2:

Also there is about 11 ft of hose before exiting over the side of the boat, I know that effects pump pressure.

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I would pull the pump apart to check for debris in the impeller,and if you want more water pressure,make sure there's nothing limiting the pumps intake(like small hoses,or openings on the fittings) then reduce the size of the nozzle going into the tank quite a bit,in my opinion going by your pic,that spray nozzle is to big,reduce that to create more pressure.
    As far as the pumps capacity,remember that the rate of flow was labeled under perfect conditions,with the manufactures ideal set up and to get that you would have to recreate that senario,pumping level without a uphill push though a length of hose.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep, most of these pumps are rated at no head with no outlet hose.
    Any rise you have and every crook and turn in the pipe is going to derate the pump.
    Some of these pumps are worse then others.

I used to have a site linked that tested and rated alot of brand livewell and bilge pumps and different sized pumps. The idea was to show you how few pumps actually pump as rated. Some pumps were pitiful.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    do you remember what that site was? that would be very interesting! I am not at all impressed with my 750 gph rule pump...I thought I would be blowing the bait out of the tank, kinda like taking a shower with a pressure washer!:smile2: