Ruger SR9 Hand Gun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by cajun dusty, Apr 9, 2008.

1. cajun dusty

cajun dusty New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone own one of these. Most all the reviews that I have read are really good. Thinking of getting one. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cajun Dusty

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    John reveiw I read wasn't all that great. It's only been out few months. Word up was trouble with mag release, and also a not too great trigger. GUNS, April this year.
    I always wait for a lot to roll off the line fore I jump on. I do like Ruger's.
    :big_smile:

3. cajun dusty

cajun dusty New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Boots,

I bought one on Wednesday afternoon. I took it to the range yesterday. I fired 200 rounds and it operated flawlessly. The trigger pull is a bit different than anything I have fired before. It took about 1 1/2 mags (about 25 shots) to get used to it. I really like it alot.

BTW, thanks for your reply.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Ruger makes a good gun.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ruger makes excelent guns we have a couple

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rugers do have the worst triggers of the autos. Like any new gun, I'd assume that there will have to be bugs worked out. I've found that most new guns that have problems can be linked to the magazine somehow. I also will wait until a model has been out for awhile before I get one if I'm interested so they can get the kinks worked out before I get mine.

As far as Ruger making great guns, the rifles and revolvers are second to none, and so are their .22 autos, but their centerfire autos leave alot to be desired!

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have 4 ruger handguns, and although i absolutely love rugers, the semi autos' triggers do suck. it seems when they roll a new model off the line, it would be a good idea to wait before buying one. remember when the p-85 came out? there was a lot of trouble with it in several areas. after they redid the design, it became one of their best sellers and a totally reliable weapon. same with the p-345.....

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Sept. Guns Magazine, article in the handguns column, said there's been a recall of the first SR9's, word went out in April of this year, but it's the first I heard of it. Serial numbers prefix 330's.
    It appears the "drop safe" factor is the culprit, but Ruger is taking care of it. Cudos to em for standing behind their product.

Just thought I'd post it, for those of you with one, might want to check if yours is affected....

BOOM!

I always wait.......:smile2:

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ruger issued a recall April 9.

There have been folks reporting "Firing when dropped"."Parts flying out when firing"."Gun going full auto".

I am sure they will fix it all but it must be a real disappointment to the owners.

I wish that I could afford one.I would buy it.Ruger has never wronged me yet.

To wait a while on new stuff is great advice in my belief.

Anyone going through the recall,please let us know how you come out and if you are satisfied.Thanks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I looked that one up, sure is a nice piece of hardward. Keep us posted on the quality of service. I like Rugers, You can shoot a rock through them.

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2 P94-40's, a 22-45 bull barrel, single six with both cylinders and a new model blackhawk 44 mag. I really wouldnt trade my Rugers for any other hand gun in the world.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I LOVE my Ruger Pistols, My weekend R&R is my Ruger Pistols and Remington Rifles. I have a KP90, P85, Redhawk's in 41 Mag and 44 Mag, and Black Hawks in 41, 44 and 45LC. BUT (there always is a But) I would not trust a magazine writeup PERIOD!!
    A friend of mine did a 3 issue article in an automotive mag about aftermarket cylinder heads. His shop did all of the work, the mag supplied the parts and they were returned to the mag. His findings were written up in the articles. He sent the dyno information and article to the magazine and when it came out on the news stand the findings and information were altered. The best 2 heads were made by the same company (Company X) and the 3rd best was by another company (Company Y).
    His article and dyno test sheets showed Company X's heads were the best per his findings. The finial article had NOTHING about Company X in it and it showed that the best was Company Y's heads.
    He called them and asked why the findings and article were changed and they said point blank that Company Y was a big advertiser with the company that owns the magazine and they were the company that supplied all of the parts to show how good there product was, so there produce was going to be the best.

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That really sucked for your friend, they should have just wrote the article themselves...I hope your friend dropped his subscription asap!

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    It just shows how some of the magazines work. It is all about the Dollar! After his experience with them I started looking at articles as to what they left out that was a popular item and is surprised me how many times something seemed off. Now I read them for infotainment! (new word for ya!!) I check the information against my own notes and other sources. Most of the information is good but there will always be a question in my mind now.

15. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The gun shop I deal with had a new SR9 that they sent back for the recall that was issued. Once it returned a buddy of mine that I shoot with bought it and off to the range we went. I was not impressed with the trigger and was really not impressed after shooting the third mag through it and the front sight flew off. Faith in this gun is now out the window so he is trading it for something different. Ruger's wheel guns are very nice and their triggers can be made pretty smooth (not as nice as a Smith though) but they sure need to get some quality control going for their autos.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just read a few days ago where these model with serial number beginning with "7"'s were also recalled for the same problems that occurred earlier this year.