Ruger p89

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by willcat, Sep 12, 2008.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Thinking of buying one from a guy in the office. Anybody have one or shootone. He wants 350$ for it w/ 3 15rd clips & 1 20 rd clip, and a holster, good deal???

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Don't know about the price, depends too much on where you are. The P89 is a tough weapon. I think you could shoot rocks through the barrel if you could figure a way to do it. It is kinda heavy, which makes high pressure loads easier to control. One of the deparments I worked for had this as it's issued weapon when I first hired on. One observation though, whether you shoot one round or 100 rounds, clean it. It does not like to be dirty. Gets real iffy when its dirty. Good luck.

3. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion the Ruger P-series cant be beat for the money. I have 2. How old is it? They sell new around $400-$450 around here.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It wasnt that old and i saw them at Academy for 400$, but this gun was too big for my hand and i couldnt work the clip release all that well. He was giving 4 clips & a box of shells, but i think i will get a subcompact of some kind that'll fit my hand well...any suggestions on those??

5. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My wife has a Beretta 9000S and loves it. 9mm 2-10 shot clips and a hard case for under $400.

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a Ruger P-90, basically the same as the P-89 just a .45 caliber, shoots really well and is super reliable. Only complaint is that trigger pul is long. As far as subcompact, I'd recommend a Glock. I really don't care much for the 9mm round, talked to alot of criminals that have been shot with 9mm's and are still here to tell about it. Guess if you just want a target pistol then that would be okay. The subcompact models are, G-26 is 9mm, G-27 is .40, G-29 is 10mm, G-30 is .45 GAP, G-28 is .380, and G-33 is 357 Sig. I have a G-33 and love it, shoots incredible and has ALOT of power too. Benefits of a Glock are, same trigger pull poundage every time at 5.5 pounds, hammerless, no safety to deal with in a crisis since its on the trigger, easy to take apart and clean, easy to use, accurate, AND MORE THAN ANYTHING ITS PROVEN IN COMBAT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT. Here's a link to Glock pistols, http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Like Ronnie said the Ruger is good as long as you baby it and clean it. For this reason I don't like the Ruger autos. I want a pistol that is simple,solid and above all dependable. Nothing beats a Glock for my use. Sigs are great but they are expensive and will not take abuse like a Glock. My recommendation for a compact or subcompact would be the Glock 23 and the Glock 27 respectively. 40 cal is way better than the 9mm and with the right load is comperable to the .45. Also there are more aftermarket extras for the Glock than any other pistol other than the 1911.

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have a KP90 that I have put through HELL, Never failed. It had over 4000 rounds through it without an issue. About 3000 were target rounds the rest factory loads. I started using it for a backup pig hunting and loading 260gr bullets and after about 500 of them the aluminum guide rod was showing some wear and would hang the slide with my target loads. Factor loads still functioned well.
    Glocks are a VERY good gun. My only issue with them is the safety. If you do not put your finger on the trigger you do not need a safety. Putting the Safety on the trigger to me is kind of like gluing the keys in a lock so no one can pick it. With a thumb activated safety you have to physically move the safety to shoot, 2 separate operations. With it on the trigger one motion takes care of both, this can lead to accidents. Did you see the video of the Officer shoot himself in the leg while showing the kids about a gun? The safety failed because his finger was on the trigger. If his finger was not there (The correct way to handle a gun) it would have never went off. If the Safety had been a separate function, again, it would have never gone off EVEN with his poor handling practices of putting his finger on the trigger.
    I know of several law enforcement officers who have had them miss-fire for the same reason.
    For a gun for me, If I had a good buy I would own one. For my wife, I would get something with a separate safety.
    I had an HK, Actually I have had 2 and they were INCREDABLELY good deals (I had less than $700 in both, a 40 cal and a 45 cal) but they were the finickiest guns I have EVER had my hands on. There MP5, totally different story but the pistols needed to be cleaned often and thoroughly and they were not an easily cleaned weapon. I do not think I would own another unless they changed.