ruger p-95 questions

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the surpluss gun shop has one of these 9mm rugers. its $359 and has 2 mags and hardcase. this is about $150 cheaper than the other new rugers. its just an older model not the latest greatest lol. anyone havre one? likes disslikes. i am intrested in getting this one if its still there in a week.

oh. YES its new.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive got one and i love it,its one of the most accurate pistols i own.i couldnt tell you how many rounds ive put threw that thing and never ever had a malfunction.I bought mine when they first came out and its still going strong.
    I guess the only thing i dont like about it is its just a little to thick at the top torward the hammer to be a good concealed carry pistol.but other then that its a shooter,mine is anyway.

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I can not speak for the P-95 Rugers. I did own a P-90 .45acp several years ago and did not keep it very long. It just felt sloppy to me and was not very accurate at all. I would of been better off picking up gravel and throwing that instead of wasting lead. Now with that said, I have heard that Ruger tightened up their P line of auto loaders and they now shoot better.

That is the only Ruger that I would not recomend. The blackhawks, redhawks, the 22 autoloaders and their rifles...TOP NOTCH IN MY BOOK! Maybe I was spoiled buy the Beretta 92FS (smooth as silk BTW) that I had before the Ruger. If you can shoot it before buying it I would.

For what it's worth....I priced used 9mm Glocks in excellent condition with night sights at the Des Moines gun show a few weeks ago for a hundred dollars more. I had one dealer down to 420 bucks before he told me that he would charge me an extra 6% more because I was going to use my debit card. I told him that he just lost a sale and walked off.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well as of yet only autoloaders i own are highpoint 380 and 40 S&W. the ruger felt good in my hand. not top heavy like the highpoints.

dont get me wrong i love the hi pt pistols. they shoot accurate and dont jam. never had any problems with the pistols at all. between me and friends and family i know of over a dozen that own 20 or so of high points pistols and no one has had trouble yet.

but thanks for the tip. just got a call to return to work so ill be putting it on lay a way this week if its still there. ill check the slide well too to check for any play.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know about the P-95 but I have a P-85. It's a good gun, little big for concealed carry like someone said. Mine shoots tight groups but has always shot a little high and to the right. The sights are fixed so this always bugged me that I can't dial it in. Also, if you have the hammer cocked and then engage the saftey, it drops the hammer, I guess it's suppose to but I still feel uncomfortable with the hammer dropping so hard with a round in the chamber. Don't know if they changed that on the 95??

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The De cocker drops the hammer the same way it fires BUT it will not lift the transfer bar, it takes a little getting used to.
    Cock the gun and put your thumb over the barrel and see if the barrel move around. It should be pretty solid. If you you can get it bushed. My KP90 is a very good shooting pistol. I am at about 6,000 rounds through it, a day at the range used to be about 5-700 rounds. A friends was very ammo intolerance and would not shoot well with a few of the cheaper ammo's. His 9mm was a package deal he got with a few other guns and the barrel was sloppy, he had is bushed by a local gunsmith and it is unreal now. He regularly shoots bowling pin and target matches with it and wins more than he should. He favors it over his Sig and Glock, says it fits his hand better with Hogue grips on it.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im going over maybe tomorrow to see if its there still. hoping.

8. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    good luck bro hope shes still there:wink:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    on lay away. put $75 down yesterday. actually got a blued one $40 cheaper. 2 mags and case for $319.99. the $359.00 was stainless slide.

slide was tight. actually looked at a tarus millenium too but the one that was in my range of under $350 was $369 but was compact. the full size 24-7's was $399. didnt want to go that high. tarus offers lifetime warrenty. asked what rugers was and was told lifetime as well. so i got it.

10. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have about 8500 rounds through one of my P-94 40 cals.(I have 2) I love this gun, even more so after the Hogue slip on grips were added. Very accurate! I shoot it more than any of my other pistols.
    It is a little big to conceal though.

Attached Files:

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot the kp90 and momma shoots the kp97. they are shooters for sure. ours are both really accurate, and no problems after a couple thousand rounds. i have heard a lot of bad stuff about ruger semi autos, but have never seen it first hand. i heard it was the older p series pistols they had problems with.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    going over friday to pay the last $100 and pick it up. ill post after i shoot it.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    picked it up today. going to shoot it now.

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    let us know how she shoots,i know mine shoots very well.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    smooth.

i like it. seemed really accurate right out of the box. came with 2 15rd mags and hardcase and speedloader.

ill post on it again after i get a few pics.

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You got a fine pistol. I shot several of the P95's when they first came out, and they were great. I was running the sporting good department at my local Wal-Mart when the gun hit the market, and we probably special ordered 100 of those guns within weeks. A bunch of the local police officers ordered them too. I never had someone complain about them.

Like the others said, it's not really a concealed carry gun, although a friend of mine used to carry his in a shoulder holster rig quite a bit, but he always had on a light jacket or sweatshirt when he did.

The only P series guns that had issues were the very first ones introduced in the 80's. Ruger recalled a bunch of them and offered free repair/upgrade on them after they finalized the redesign. Other than that, the P series guns are and have been probably the best buy in a duty size handgun since they were introduced.