ruger mini 14's for hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by C Hill, Dec 16, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    anyone have one? is the 223 a big enough caliber for deer?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It will get the job done, but I think most would agree w/ me that it's a little too light. The Mini 14 is a great gun though!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chase,it may be a legal cartridge in OK,it is here in N M but I'd rather use something a bit bigger. but then The US military adopted it as a man stopper so go figure.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I had the M-14 while in service. I could never figure out why it was replaced by the .223 cal M-16. Finally I read an article that said it was because of the weight of the ammo. A soldier could carry many more rounds of .223.

I believe .243 cal is the smallest approved cal for deer here in SC.

5. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    i was thinkin it was a little light too, but last year my brother shot a deer at 50 yards with a 22 lr and it only went 30 yards after the shot. the 22 also had full pass though. the 223 is putting out the same balistics past 500 yards that the 22 is putting out at 50.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Chase the military shoots a 300 meter contest, with a "match" bullet, and that's bout a fair as you can figure with the .223(5.56). And that's with guns gone over by their team smiths.
    I have a Mini 14, and like it. It pretty much replaced the Winchester 30/30 for the bumping round the truck gun....and a lot of fellas including me wished I'd stayed with the Winchester now they are out of business, LOL. But I agree with the others it's a lil light for deer. It's great for yotes & chucks & for defence; and the ammo price is right as it's our service caliber now. So the plinking is there too. For deer I'd look see if they still make the Mini 30. You can get the 7.62x39mm ammo easily, and get better ballistics, and match ammo, and a gun far superior cartridge wise, with the same design. I bought mine before the 30 came out.
    :big_smile:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Chase,

Please check your Okla reg's. The smallest centerfire cart you can use is a .240 cal. The .243 will work fine for deer without the recoil of a larger rifle. A warden could and will give you a ticket for taking a deer with a .22. A .22 will work and is still probably the number one rifle cart for poaching deer.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I shot a couple deer legally with a mini-14 .223 but wasn't that impressed with the performance.
    My son's first deer gun was a SKS and it served him well, those heavier bullets work a lot better and the SKS cost a lot less than a Mini.
    Now he's graduated up to a .270

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would not recommend the .223 for deer. i have seen it twice on deer and several times when i used to hunt hogs a lot, guys would bring those ar-15's out to kill pigs. i never saw such a mess. last week my buddy drilled a wt doe with his ar-15, right through the boiler room at 30 yards. she ran around some salt cedars and i went around the other side. the next time i saw her she was well over the property line, 300 yards away and still going strong. i guarantee that deer suffered like hell.
    i just got back from target shooting and we were hitting targets with our sks rifles at 200 yards with iron sights. i have killed deer out to 220 yards with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, it is hell on wheels for deer. hits real hard with just the wolf 123 grain hollowpoint. the key to getting an accurate one is taking the receiver cover, bolt, and spring out and shining a bore light down the barrel before you buy it, as you should with any firearm. you want one with deep, consistent rifling. they can be quite accurate, for what they are, and you can pick em up for less than $200. good luck in whatever you go with.

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like others have said, the .223 is probably a little light for deer. The mini 14 itself was kind of a disappointment for me in the accuracy department. I've owned two and neither shot too good at all, but would go bang every time.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I shot 1 deer with a Mini 14 and that soft nozed .223 blew up on a rib bone and I lost the deer,I never hunted with it again,it was a 3006 or 12ga slug from then on and I've shot over 100 deer with them and never lost one.

12. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kansas Deer Regulations
    Centerfire rifles that are not fully automatic and that fire a bullet larger than
    .23 Inches in diameter, while using only soft point, hollow point or other expanding bullets.:0a18:

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Chris, the .24 restriction is on handgun cartridges.
    Rifle minimum is .223 with a 55gr soft point.

Will

14. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The .223 cal. bullet is not a good round to hunt deer with, it lacks the knockdown power needed the cleanly kill a deer size animal, It is ok for varmint hunting . It was not designed for hunting animals of deer size or larger.That is not to say a deer cannot be killed with one because there has probably been more deer killed with a .22 long rifle than any other cartridge by people while squirrel hunting. You will have a lot of wounded deer lost with a .223.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Okay, I'll try this again.:angry:

There's nothing wrong with the .223 for whitetail that rarely top 125#.

The problem is with the bullets that are commonly available for them...FMJs, or highly frangible hollowpoints that blow up when they hit a twig. These are, I suspect, responsible for most of the horror stories you hear.

You can buy loads made for deer, just not in Wal Mart.

16. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if your not wanting a gun with a lot of punch get u a 25-06 not a 30-06 it a good round or a 308 is even better or a 243 in a wssm good luck

17. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What kind of hunting conditions are you facing? I hunt in thick woods and 75 yards is a long shot. Did you want a semi-auto? You can also get the the Mini 14 in 7.62x39 and 6.8 SPC. Both would be better for deer hunting.

18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    id like to add my 2 cents.... savage 110 .30-06 for over 100 yards mossberg 500 with 3 in. black magic brennke magnum 1oo yards and under kill em dead. i dont like to see them get up and run :big_smile: :cool2:

19. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    It's kinda like Shakespere isnt it if you shoot and kill there is only one man gone right ? If you shoot and wound there is three men off of the battle field .
    If the .223 was a man stopper there wouldnt be a need and a push my the military for 6.8 right . Anyways if you are wanting to use a military cartridge for hunting go with anything from the 30-06 the 8mm the .303 Brit . I have rounds for the 8mm that are hotter than the 30-06, and I think that they shoot flatter as well . If you have a head shot /neck shot with the .223 it will make a bad day for the deer , but I can do the same thing with a .22CB or my pellet gun , but that isnt legal of right . I like all Ruger guns , they havent let me down yet , and The 10/22 that I have rolled off the line in june of 64 I have replaced 4 clips since I got the gun , So I love rugers , They go bang and that is what we need right . Any round can do amazing things if we put it were it counts

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It never was designed to "kill" an opponent. It was designed to wound a soldier. If he's wounded, then it ties up one or two more to tend to him, so theoretically, you've just taken out three.

It was also designed to be able to carry more ammunition for the same weight. How many rounds do you need to kill a deer. If you can hit the deer, then it should be with something that will get the job done with one shot.

I know it's legal to use in Oklahoma, and other states. However, there's lots of things that are legal, but not necessarily ethical. There's no room for error with this round. I've seen too many deer lost to this round to be a truely 100% effective round. Just my observations.