Ruger Hawkeye

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by xringer3, Jun 17, 2008.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was wanting to know if anyone has one of the new Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifles. They've changed the stock and put a matt black finish on them with the new LC6 trigger. I've been looking for a new rifle since my old favorite (Winchester) quit making the M-70(I know they're producing the M-70 again from another plant but they're priced like a Kimber).

I have shouldered the new Ruger and the new stock seems to melt into my shoulder like it was made for me and the balance is perfect. I really like the feel of the new trigger also. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new model and how the accuracy is compared to the other brands or even the old Ruger M77, I've had a few of those and they were on par with Rem. and Win. I just didn't like the old stock and trigger. I'm wanting one in 25-06. I had one in a M-70 years ago and like an idiot, I got rid of it. I love that round(don't even ask why I got rid of it, couldn't tell ya!).

Any input would be great. Thanks......Vince

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Dont know a thing about em, but its hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I"m tired of handling em and chumped off and ordered one in 25-06. Had that round before in another rifle and loved it. God only knows why I got rid of it. I'll let ya guys know when it gets in and I get it "tweaked" how it does. Got my bullets and brass ready, just gotta scope it when it gets here.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    The first and foremost criteria of purchasing a weapon. Everything else can be adjusted or compensated for in some fashion. I personally like the NO. 1.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I still plan on getting another No.1, can only get one at a time. Still can't decide which one of those I want either.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sweet!

My vote would be the international with the full stock in 7x57.:big_smile:

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Second that! Got one to get rid of?LOL

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Think we might get a deal on a matched pair?:smile2:

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I was at an auction where they sold 4 sets of Ruger #1's. One set of stainless and laminate in about EVERYTHING from 22 Rimfire to 458 Lott and a Blue set the same ALL the same serial numbers, they sold them as sets. The other 2 were the same, synthetic and a blue set all matching numbers but only in over the counter calibers. I wanted the 25/06, 6mm/08 and 35 Wheelen in the stainless/green laminate. They ALL had been proofed at under a MOA.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like the looks and lines of the hawkeye,Don't like the scope placement however,looks like an afterthought. I know it is a long eye relief scope ,but dang it;it just dont look right:wink:

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like that the scope base is machined into the action, nothing to work loose as far as a base goes. Just one piece less to worry about. I never had trouble with the scope placement on any of the rugers I've shot or had. I do have problems with Savage though were other people love them. I just love the way this new Hawkeye fits me, like a glove!

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll look from this end if you'll look from yours, LOL. We gotta be able to find something.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Richard, I think you're looking at the "Frontier". It's the "Scout Rifle" they've come up with that has the scope mounted forward of the action on the barrel, with the short barrel. I don't like it either! My Hawkeye is the traditional type scope mount. Shot it finally today, and all I can say is WOW! Shot great with factory loads, can't wait to try out some handloads and get some tweaking in on it.

14. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are the triggers getting any better on the new Ruger rifles?

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup,You're right,Got a lil confused,,I checked the hawkeye out,nice rifle.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The triggers on the new hawkeye rifles are ALOT BETTER! I was able to get .5 to .75 inch groups with the factory trigger. I haven't even bedded the action and floated the barrel. The rifle was as it came out of the box.

I was told that the new trigger on the hawkeye was adjustable, but after I got it, found out that it isn't. However, you can remove the spring and cut a coil off of it, or just replace it with a lighter tigger spring which is about 2 bucks, and you will lighten the trigger pull. It's plenty crisp though as is. I guess that's about as adjustable as ruger is willing to go.

I've had the older ruger bolt actions, the MKI and MKII, and this is hands down an improvement. I love the feel of the new stock shape, it makes a world of difference to me, but might not for someone built different. I know alot of people who like the savage rifles, but I just can't even learn to like the feel of them! I'd definitly handle one before buying. But, they will group with any of the others from what I've seen.

17. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The first 7 mag I shot was a Ruger. The trigger pull was so heavy that I had to look and make sure it wasn't on safety! It shot decent with factory loads but really liked a 140 nosler ballistic tip. Shot even better after a trigger job. On the subject of Savage rifles, I have always believed them to be one of the ugliest rifles made because of the barrel nut and the thick, plain walnut stocks. But, I am yet to run across one that didn't shoot, or couldn't be made to shoot with relative ease. I purchased a used .223 with a bull barrel on a 112 long action. I got rid of the hideous stock and put a 100 dollar Bell and Carlson spider web varmint stock on it. It is a tack driver and I have taken it the last two years to the panhandle to shoot prairie rats. I don't know the breaking poundage, but the trigger was perfect.

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Finally got to give it a good wring out with 12 different handloads. I had5 different bullets with 4 different powders. Out of all the loads fired, there were only 4 that ran over 1 inch. All the rest were between .35 to .75 inch. For all the loads including factory so far, the average is just under an inch. Figured that's not too bad for a factory stock rifle, it's good enough for deer to me.

The trigger's are alot better than the old ones, but could use a little lightening up. I changed out the trigger spring yesterday and it lightened it up a couple pounds. Took only about 5 minutes and the spring was about 3 bucks.

19. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Which bullet did your gun like the best?