Ruger Alakan 454/45 Colt- Hunt & Still Conceal!!!

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Catfishrob, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    The Ruger 454 Alaskan is a quality stainless gun thats still small enough to conceal.
    Protect yourself from Hogs, Gators, 'Bars, Sharks and 2 legged mammals.....

You can shoot 45 Colt light "Cowboy loads"
    45 Colt Hot Corbon Loads
    454 Casul Meplat Cannon loads

Any 230 Grain load is a manstopper!!!!!

And you can conceal it with a Pancake or similar holster.

Out powers 44 mag by 2 times the energy!!!!!!:wink:

I just love mine...................

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I was in Alaska or other terrain were I would be running into large brown bears, I'd see a need. The lighter loads for it will recoil about like a 44mag. A 44mag with a ported short barrel is lighter and easier to pack. I'd rather be able to fight the threat and not fight the gun myself.

Give me a good ported 3 inch M29 with 270grn Gold Dot loads and I'm set.

3. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I bet that thing is a fist full of dynamite! How hard does it kick with a full house load of 454?

5. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Well, lets just say it's a true 2 hander. You can do it with one but your wrist WILL feel it! From 230 to 250 is a HUGE difference!!! The 45 colts are nut'n. When I took my buddy to the range I loaded 3 45 long colts and then the 4th - 6th were 250gr casuls.... hehehehe I didn't tell him nut'n... LOL when that 4th shot went off lol his eyes were so dang huge! LMAO!!!!

It's built fer one thang, and one thang only.... a stopper fer sure.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Fellas;
    Given the size of some of those BEARS in Alaska, if I was to run into one that would not let me slowly back away and I HAD to fight, then I would just as soon have a light, portable, reloadable LAW's Rocket!!! :wink::smile2: 10-12' of BEAR with a Mean Attitude and a full load of Adrenalin running through his veins , I don't think there is a handgun, or a rifle, large enough to GUARANTEE a one shot stop under those conditions!! And I am just cowardly enough to NOT want to deliberately find out either! :big_smile: Ain't ashamed to admit it either!
    As for the 2-legged "bears" any decent 230gr hollowpoint in the 45 caliber class will do one of those in, presuming proper bullet placement! Or, 125gr+ in the .357 class, given the same proper bullet placement. For that matter, a good #4 Buckshot load in a good Remington 870 12ga at 10-20' works wonders on those 2-legged ones too!! }:) <eg>
    Just wanted to put my two cents worth in is all.
    There are a lot of 2-legged critters out there that you have to worry about a lot more than a 4-legged Bear, Moose, or other 4-legged critter. Most, given a bit of respect and a healthy leeway will not bother you. I can NOT say the same about the 2-legged critters out there! :sad2::sad2:
    So, you ALL have Fun and Stay SAFE!
    I would NOT enjoy hearing that a Brother or Sister got done in by a 2-legged critter!! That would make me want to get the old "Sniper Rifle" out and use some of those shooting "skills" I was taught over the years! Hint-Hint and Nuff Said. I won't say any more about that subject!
    "Walk In Peace"
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ End of Post ]]]]]

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I hunt with S&W model 29 8 3/8 barrel and love it. But the 454 casul
    and the 500 S&W your talking 3 times more felt recoil than the .44
    mag. Thats to much handgun for me to enjoy.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Most "bush" pilots, the most likely stranded and worried for the browns, carry a carbine or short shotgun in their survival kits. The gun of the hand is not the first choice. I just don't see the market for these big bore palm/wrist busters. But I did notice a lot of used ones for sale the last time I visited a dealer's.

9. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Yessir, you guys are correct, those big bore pistols ain't designed fer pleasure only as a back up weapon. I carry it just in case a critter catches me by surprise, you know as a back up weapon to my rifle.... It ain't one to take to the range that's fer sure.

Just got an email through from a guy and hos buddy was bow Elk hunting and a bear mauled him, good think he has his back up pistol.... The pictures said a thousand werds.....

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'd say that being behind one is only slightly better then being in front of one.

That being said, I would still like to snap the trigger on a 454 casull...just to say that I did it.:smile2::smile2:

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
  12. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I like iabowhunter would at least like to drop the hammer on one round just to say I had a chance and the fuzzies to do it once. I ain't never passed up a chance at fireing any thing I have had the opportunity to try yet.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I wouldn't think you would really need a 2nd go around if target placement was ummm close :smile2: :smile2:

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    you know i said the same thing, and then my buddy broke out the Titanium Hand Cannon (thats what he called it)
    i have never been around anything so unpleasant to shoot. i just calmly handed it back to him.
    The one "fishin gun" i would like to have is the Judge. 45 long or .410 I could use in Texas where snakes are a problem when night fishing, or in Alaska where browns are a problem.
    And so far as the 2-legged critters are concerned i have my 1911 or 12guage. BTW birdshot is nasty out to 30 yrds on humans. Saw proof of that in person