Ruger .300 RCM??

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by DCcatfisher, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience shooting and/or hunting with the new Ruger .300 RCM. I saw an article on them in the latest edition of American Hunter. They looked like they would be a pretty good round. I just don't know if I could give up the old 7mm Rem. Mag. for something new.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like the idea of it as you're supposed to get the same velocities of a 300 mag in only a 20 inch barrel. This will of course be with the factory ammo that only the factories have access to the type of powder that get them those velocities. If you reload, you won't be able to get the same ballistic performance with handloads.

I see no reason to get rid of my beloved 7mm mag. I've used lots of calibers over the years, and have just been "smitten" by the 7 mag in the last few years, but I haven't used any caliber that performs as good as it does. It might not be a supper fast ultra lazer zapper, but is closer to the all around caliber for me. It shoots flat, hits hard, not heavy on recoil, easy to reload, and extremely accurate. Can't ask for more.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw the Compact Magnums in the new Ruger catalog. I don't know anything about them. I'm sure they are nice...especially for those that need the latest and greatest new round. I have formed a somewhat uneducated opinion about short mags lately. I still want a .300 WSM. I don't think it's superior to a .300 WM, .300 RCM...etc. I think it has a better case design. It can never actually surpass a .300 WM, or .300 WBY. because there is no replacement for displacement. You can simply put more powder, and drive a larger projectile faster with a standard .300 WM than you can with a .300 WSM...and possibly the .300 RCM. Cool round, though. Components will be cheaper and easier to get with established rounds.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I saw a used 300 wsm, Rem 700 stainless barrel and synthetic stock for a decent price, (for Calif) but money is tight now, also I got other guns. I'd like to shoot one tho. Supposedly the balistics are pretty good too. I really like a rem 700, would like to try a ruger too tho.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt's post hit on a good post. If you don't reload and shoot only factory ammo, then the concept of the rifle is sound. You get 300 mag performance in a short handy 20 inch barrel, with the same ballistics as the other 300 mags with 24 and 26 inch barrels. As far as the rifle they're chanbered in, the new Hawkeye, I ended up with two of them after shouldering one. They just melted into my shoulder for my build and have a better feel than my remington 700s or winchester 70.

As far as the accuracy, I've never seen a factory rifle that accurate out of the box. Both my 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag Hawkeyes both have hunting handloads that group in less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards, and under an inch at just over 200 yards! Like I said, if you don't handload and am just looking at factory ammo, it's not too bad of a deal, should take anything on this continent with a short, handy little package. Good luck!