Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 7mmmag1, Dec 3, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I traded off my Marlin 60 for my .22 revolver, and am looking to replace it with something different. I didn't like the Marlin, the length of pull was too short and it would jam if you didn't put the bullets it liked in it, and the sights were junky. I looked at the Mossberg Plinkster, a Savage, a Marlin with a drop out magazine and a Remington 597. The plinkster seemed like junk, the Savage had a horrible scope on it (think Daisy), and the I had to really pull to get the magazine out of the marlin, and all the rifles seemed off balance and really front heavy. I really liked the action and the scope on the Remington but the grey stock was big time ugly. I would have bought it if it wasn't so ugly. I have looked at the ruger 10/22 and I like it too. The carbine is kind of ugly but the sporter is sweet looking. However it is a lot more expensive than the remington, so maybe I could put up with the grey.

What do you guys suggest?

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You will love the 10/22 it will part the hairs on a frog at 50yrds with highpower long stingers, shot after shot after shot,It will never fail you. nice and balanced smooth operating..To me its the best 22 LR out there by far...They have that also with the bull barrel that is one heck of a gun..:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Kenny. I've owned 3 or 4 or these guns and don't have a bad thing to say about them. Tell ya another fine one and thats Marlins 39A lever action. Expensive but worth it. The rugar is easy to tear down and clean and for 150 bux i don't think you can beat it for the price.

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've had my 10/22 for close to 40 years. My first choice going out the door squirrel hunting. I have never had any problems with it. I agree with the other two. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. I bought my son one for Christmas one year. Lord knows how many rounds have been through that rifle so far.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd opt for a marlin bolt,But then I dont have much use for semi auto's. Between the two,hands down the ruger. I have a Ruger 77/17 HMR and its the big game rifle of rimfires,not speaking of the caliber here,But the gun itself,perfectly balanced and just real quality.

6. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Ruger is about 200 bucks around here at Academy, and the Remington is 170 with a scope at Academy. However, they have been out of the Rugers lately so I cant compare the two side by side. It seems like there is just about as many goodies that a normal person would get for both models. I think the Remington would look good if I painted it black, but the Ruger is so versatile I'm stuck between the two. I'll probably go gun shopping Saturday maybe they will have some 10/22s in stock and I can compare em.

Thanks for the responses

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    there are so many after market products for the ruger.it would be hard to beat !

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

You can't go wrong with a Ruger, in my opinion. I think they are one of the very best guns available and have a great life time warranty. I've owned about 18 pistols, an M-77, and a 77-50 and I love everyone of them. I have never had any trouble with a Ruger. One .22 pistol I got used had 2" of the barrel cut off and had a hair trigger. I sent it in to the company and they completely re-built it, re-blued it, and all they charged me was $15 for the shipping. They even replaced the barrel and sent the old one back to me.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have shot both the 10/22 and a 597, and i own a 597. I like my 597, very accurate, and a good gun. The key to them is to not tighten up the guide rails inside too tite when you take the gun apart and put it back together. The screws that hold the guide rails in should only have about 10 inch pounds on them, or the rails bow out and cause cycling issues.

Please do not take this as criticism of the 10/22, its a great gun, and many many thousands have been sold for a reason, but:
    The 10/22 rotary magazine will cause jams occassionally, i've seen it happen. The ones i seen happen seemed like they needed cleaning, or the spring was going bad. This is also a very good gun though.

When i bought my .22, i wanted something differnt than what everybody else has. This coupled with the fact that the remington was about $70 cheaper made my decision. If you dont like the gray stock, shop around, they come in different flavors.

10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Between those two, the Ruger hands down. Tons of accessories for it, plus I think easier to use.

Personally I do prefer a Marlin 60. It's mostly all I've ever shot for a .22 other than a bolt action. I have a 10/22 that I converted to a .17HM2, but for a .22 I always grab the Marlin. If it's jamming, it either needs to be cleaned, or like you mentioned it's the ammo. I usually shoot the cheap Remington ammo that you get in the 525 round box. It used to be pretty cheap, but now I think it's about 3 times as much as the last time I bought some. The only ammo I've ever had a problem with in it was the Blazers I bought when I first bought mine. Before I bought mine I shot my dad's Marlin 60 a lot, and I know a lot of other people that like them too. I really like the tube magazine, and I have a speed loader that will drop 15 rounds in it in just a couple of seconds. The 10/22 you can get multiple and bigger magazines, but I hate the magazine hanging below the gun for a hunting gun though.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have an old Glenfield Model70 w/4X scope that has been a great plinker, squirrel, rabbit gun. Never jambs unless using cheap shells.
    Picked up a Ruger 10/22 for a cheap price last month. New in the box never shot. Times are hard and people need cash. Can't wait to try it out.

12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Agree 100%.. I have a Ruger 10/22 and it's a nice little rifle, I also have Winchester model 52. The Ruger will not hold a candle to the Winchester in the accuracy department. If you have the green....go with Ruger 77/22 or take it up a notch to a Kimber .22. But I'm pretty much a bolt action person. I've had people ask me why I would spend 500 plus on a .22....reason, most people spend that much on a deer rifle they only use a few times a year, why not on a good .22 you can use all year long?:big_smile:

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought a Ruger 10-22 today. I'm itching to shoot some rounds through it to see how it does. I can't wait to take it out. Good luck in your gun shopping.

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona

15. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    i had a 10/22 and now 597 and my pick is the 597.i just couldnt get that ruger to shoot like i wanted it to. even changed bullet,barrels,stocks, hammer and sear and scopes after i dumped about a grand in it i had enough and sold it.now i have that 597 i put a sightron 6-12 mil dot scope on it and right now i can cover a quarter at 100 yds.the only thing about the 597 is the tigger.it hard

16. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 10/22 that I put a Alumilite Bull Barrel on it shoots great 1/4 groups at 50 yards. I have a 597 in 22 mag and I love this little gun shoots 3/4 to 1" groups at 100 yards. (it is ammo picky) I also have a single shot 22LR Anschutz bull barrel. TACK DRIVER!!! 50 yards same hole using Federal Ultra Match Ammo. As for a throw it in the truck and fun to shoot little gun the 10/22 is my fav! If you have cycling problems with your Ruger the newer guns have a much softer extractor than the old ones. I have seen them wear on the claw tip with less than 1000 rounds through them. Look on the net for a hardened extractor (like around $10.00). They are easy to install. Good luck and I hope you have fun shooting your new gun!

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I were picking between the 10/22 and the 597, I would go with the 10/22. Reason being. I bought My 2 sons one each when they were in their early teens. They shot lord only knows how many rounds of ammo through them and they operated flawlessly. I know for a fact there was a 500 round brick of ammo shot through the 2 of them each week for several months. They were as accurate as any 22 I had ever seen.

18. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    My pick would be the ruger. One of the best upgrades i put on mine was a Automatic bolt release. I think it was 10 bucks.

19. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i would go with the 10/22 i have had one since i was a kid and shot thousands or rounds through it. it still shoots perfect. the only bullet that i have shot through that it didnt like is the bird shot junk. but i shoot whatever else is cheap and it works great.

20. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the great replies. I bought the Ruger. I really liked the 597 and would have bought it if it had a decent looking stock. I really liked the Ruger too and the wood stock is much nicer than grey. So far it has shot great probably put about 200 rounds through it. It seems to be pretty accurate but have had 3 fail to fires. I think it is mostly the Rem Golden bullets I've been shooting through it, I hear they are pretty junky, after I shoot these 2 bricks I'll try Winchester or Federal. The only reason I've been buying the golden bullets is my marlin 60 (before I sold it) would'nt cycle the Federal bulks