Rude boater

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DANZIG, May 31, 2006.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This dude took the cake and maybe should get the prize!

So, three of us are fishing from the bank at the local lake (Beechfork) Saturday, we are way up a little creek to where it narrows down to about 15ft wide and maybe 5 foot deep. We notice a little white boat (not a rental) with 1 adult and 1 teenager heading our way and when they get close my downstream buddies commence to warning him that he is about to cross our lines.
    So what does this yahoo do? He pulls up his trolling motor, gets out his paddles and keeps on coming! I figure that my buddies have this one so I go to tying on a new hook, look up and the yahoo is about to cross one of my lines...Well, I am not a shy person so I ask him "What in the hell do you think you are doing?!" He proceeds to tell me that he is just going past us up the creek to fish. Now understand, past me up the creek can only be 20ft farther on account of the creek shallowing to nothing. I ask him if he does not see a problem with crossing our lines in such a small.
    Evidently he didn't because the next words out of his mouth are something to the effect of "We were fishing here yesterday." to which I replied, "Friend, WE are fishing here NOW!"

At this point my closest buddy is about to have a conniption fit and I am really glad that he had not brought his pistol. I am losing my cool too and had the yahoo not had a kid with him I believe he would have been in real trouble.
    I will spare you the language but with some serious volume I explain to him that it would be best for his health if he turn his boat around and get up the lake.
    He finally got the hint.

This is the worst, but not first time this has happened at this lake and indeed this very creek.

Now, Ladies and Gents, I still do not believe that he thought he had done anything wrong.
    Where do these people come from????
    What can possibly be done to educate these folks, short of violence?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Those situations never are fun. I had a bad situation with a really dumb dude deer hunting once. The guy was tresspassing and yelling at me and my buddy. The guy was also with a kid. Kind of an uncomfortable situation when people have loaded shotguns.

People need to learn respect. I hate when people boat over my line for no reason. It is also irritating when people act like because they fished somewhere once they have the rights to it. When I bank fish I have my favorite spots and if somebody is there I jsut find another spot.

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    atleast he wasnt 12 years old and on a jetski

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    unless you own the creek you had no right to block it. maybe he wanted to fish the very end of the water, maybe he wanted to shore his boat. You didn't really give us enough information. It is even possible you could have been arrested. where I live nobody has the right to block the entire waterway

I'm sure you were upset but I doubt he intended to upset you, when he lifted his motor and started using paddles he was showing you respect. he didn't have to do that, he had the right to pass by you.

calm down and enjoy your fishing time, you allowed this follow you home and keep you upset, it shows in your words.

it could be possible this man just didn't have as much experience as you on the water. when this happens we owe other our wisdon not our anger.

I could be wrong
    Danny

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I agree Danny!!! The guy did lift the trolling motor so he wouldn,t drag your lines, at least give the guy credit for doing that!!! Alot of folks wouldn't do it at all!!!

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    theres no shortage of people not useing there head.
    whether you handled it properly would depend on several factors
    although talking of pulling out heat is not even an option in fact
    i wouldnt want to be around anyone with that less of regard to human life to pull a gun out over being encroached upon .
    if nothing else just cast your lines across theres to let them get the hint!
    you can always do that and say oops sorry i just aint real good at these dang newfangled reelsafter a few of those they wouldnt be so intent to stay .
    i will say that i will try to swing wide and steer clear of bank fishermen and or boaters when i am looking for a spot .
    i call it common courtousy .

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    The man MAY have had the right.... but common curtousy should have come into play.

For instance. I got up real early one morning (3:00 am) to head for Olathe Lake to see if I could chase up a flathead by sun up. This is where the creek feeds into the lake just past the bridge (the furthest place you can legaly fish).

This spot is also where guys including me often go to catch shad.

I go to another part of the lake to catch shad because I DONT want to scare off the fish I want to catch, and head back there. Sneak down real quiet, no lights and set up.
    Sitting there nice and quite when around 5:00, a truck pulls up to the top of the hill, leaves his lights shining right on me and the water, they come on down and strart throwing their cast nets right by me! They had the right... YES....
    But they screwed my flathead fishing.

I have had to get bait somewhere else MANY other times because there were people fishing there. Why? Because I am not going to SCREW other peoples fishing up because I want to catch bait there and fish somewhere else at other peoples expense.

Just like you don't want to find your good spot, throw out your lines just to have some yahoo set up RIGHT beside you and start throwing over your lines.
    Especially when there is the whole lake or river to fish.

How are these situations any differant then a bass boat running along shore and running over your lines? It is no differant.

The place he was fishing was right near the "end of the line".
    Should they have just pulled in their lines and let the guy have it because he "fished there yesterday"?
    Does a guy with a boat have more right to the same water as the guy on the bank?

I don't think so.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    no actually by my way of thinking the boat has more abilities to
    get another spot .
    he was definently acting in a NON thinking or uncareing manner
    and i would say he was clearly in the wrong.
    but there are ways of handleing situations better than guns
    whaether or not they were used they were mentioned and violence was
    also mentioned fishing aint worth that

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Fishman, We are talking the very end of the lake part of the creek..Spit across it end of the creek. as far away from the lake as I could be and still have enough water to fish. Cast to the end of barely (with a very small boat) navigable water and not throw a 1/3 of what you can, end of the creek.
    I have no doubt who was in the right or I would not have opened my mouth. I was taught better. I was also taught not to let someone walk over-top of me. Homie don't play that.
    He had a boat and the whole of the lake to fish.

There are many places I fish where sharing the water/bank is the name of the game and understood by all that fish those places. This is not one of those places, it is just too small.
    As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago I had a feller come down to another spot, set up at a respectful, but by nessecity, close distance and shortly we were sharing beers, lies, and landing each others fish.

I just refuse to allow disrespectful behaviour.

10. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Wow

To even entertain the thought of a gun in a situation like that is insane.
    And to suggest that that guy would have been in "real" trouble if his kid was not with him and it would be best for his health that he turn around????

I think that kind of behavior would not be condoned by that vast majority of the 6000+ members of this site. There were far better ways to handle a situation that that.

You ask where that guy comes from....I ask where does you and your friend come from.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am sure having trouble believing that anyone could even left-handedly defend his behavior. Truely dumbfounded.

BTW firearm was only mentioned because I was glad my bud did not have one with him. He is not as mellow as I am.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "There were far better ways to handle a situation that that."

Such as????

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like my dad always said: "The world would be a great place to live...if it wasn't for all these damn people!"

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what a shame

did you own the land you were on ?

did you know when a boat passes close to your lines it turns up the water and help the scent of your bait spread out in the water. It's true
    it increase your bites.

if cursing a man with a kid is mellow.........well don't get mad at anyone.

I'm not defending this man, just don't think you handled it correctly, you should have a talk with the many guys in prison who are there for not allowing someone walk over them as you put it.

maybe this guy didn't think he was doing anything wrong. Your actions could have a bad effect on this kid that was with him, at the very least it sure scared him and it could effect the way he sees strangers for the rest of his life.

15. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Perhaps he did let it get out of hand a bit.
    But the lessons the guy in the boat was teaching the kid were to disregard other people and do what you want even at others expense.

16. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Maybe it was a good spot or you would not be fishing there. Give the guy the same courtisy he gave you.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well, I suppose everyone has a different point of view.

Mine is, that I am sure that this fellow will think twice before he does something like this to someone else.

18. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Lawrence, I understand your dismay with this gentleman. And I to could give you many a story of incounters that I have had. But lets look at yours from what you have given us. First, If I was that gentleman and I saw that you were already there and set up the way you were I would have went to another area. Now I do not know how much of the creek is left to fish but if there was enough for him to get into and fish without interferring with you he did have the right to go further up and fish. The fact that he went to paddle is saying to me that there might have been enough room to fish.
    Now if I was in your position first I might explain to him that there was not enough room for him up stream or that it was too shallow for them to do any good. Then if he insisted on going up stream I would take that time to check my bait and let him pass. Mainly because it is against the law to block any water way.
    Now I know exactly how you felt because I have run into a number of situations like yours. But my father did teach me that being a good sport and using common courtesy even though the other guy does not always reaps its rewards! Foul lauguage will only make situations like this go the wrong way. And anyone who feels that they need a gun to prove there point should spend some time in Iraq! You will find out that killing someone or maiming someone does not make you feel better. I will not allow a gun on a fishing trip they do not mix in any shape or form.
    I hope you will not take this the wrong way! We must learn from these sistuations and come away better for it. We must think before we act and always show good sportsmanship weather or not the other guy does. This makes us the better person and feel better in the end.
    Lets all get back to common courtesy and good sportsmanship!

:0a23:

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have to agree with wolfman myself it dont matter how much of this creek arm is left YOU do not own it. it is public. here he could of had you arrested too. sure commen sense would dictate to not even bother to go fish there but he still had the right to be there wheather he was using commen sense or not. I have seen this kind of attitude from a lot of people here on the boc and that really suprises me. I myself have gotton pms from some people here telling me to leave etc becasue i own bass boats and fish for bass besides cats it all boils down to one thing simple minded selfish attitudes and being rude. I aint defending this guy or slaming you but looking at it from a outsiders view. I know if someone would of mouthed off at me if i came around the corner and saw guys sitting there and they stared in on me they wouldnt of liked the response back. bringing a gun into play well thats stupid as you never know what the next person may have or do. the more i think about it i am glad i aint near your buddys or you got enough bad attitudes from self centered selfish people here as it is.

20. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Common curtousy,not much of that anymore.I have ___holes come flying by me all the time in these big bass boats and then I have the good ones that slow down and come by me.I fish out of a 14 ft. jon boat and a 15 hp motor and that is all it takes to catch fish.There again common curtousy doesn't happen much anymore.