Rude Awakening

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well Sunday morning I rolled up on my inner city fishing hole. I usually get there in the dark, as I pulled up I saw something dark sitting on this electrical cover people use as a table. I knew the second I saw it "I'm finally going to see something I don't want to see". You get that vibe sometimes. Sooner or later you're going to get it downtown. Well here are some pics. I was totally disgusted by this, but hey people eat these fish. So I guess its OK I don't know. I'm a trophy fisherman. This was about a 50-60lber caught downtown. I can't imagine eating this. This head was as big as mine.
    I love to fish and I know that I have limitations to where I fish ect.... :crazy: my only thought is what next ??????

Attached Files:

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    that's a shame, alot of folks think bigger cats are better eating...

if i'm going for eaters , i like the 2-3 pounders.

on the positive side , at least it was the james, not a small pond or lake.

you roll down there in the dark?

vaughn

3. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I would never fish down there at night even if i had a gun.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I am not a CPR fanatic,but I do practice selective harvesting. If they wanna eat it,fine. But at least dispose of the head properly. Thats just plain damn tacky.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with MO on disposing of the fish properly. And i just hope that the fish was eaten. And im sure there are more big blues like that there and im sure they will be caught

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Don't like seeing that myself....but I guess it was cleaned and the meat taken home (hopefully). So let's hope it's not a complete waste.

I wish these guys would take home the gazillion <10 lb cats in the river to thin the population out some, and leave the big boys for us to catch and release!

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Its dark when I get there but not for long. The earliest I went was 4am, that was kinda creepy. Usually there are other fisherman there that I've fished with so I feel safe. I will not go that early anymore, if I want to fish that early I'll go to Osboune Boat landing.
    good luck
    david

8. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Maybe since they ate the body(i hope) they could have took the head to a taxidermy for mounting, or at least threw it in the river for the little ones to peck at! LOL!:tounge_out:

9. jwh6f

jwh6f New Member

State:
    VA
    Over the years, I have learned to enjoy watching all the fish I catch return to their old haunts, especially the larger ones. Perhaps it is more psychological -- it just makes me feel good in some inexplicable and mysterious way. I don't want to lose that feeling, so I let them go.

I have heard people swear c-r is harmful, and others swear c-r will produce larger fish. Some people feel the blues are crowding out other species, like largemouths and channels. I wish I knew more about freshwater biology, because whatever is best for the fishing is what I would do, whether keep or release.

We caught a large bass a few years ago, and it still had evidence on its jaw of being caught several times. Given the fact that it was the largest bass I had ever seen, that it made me thankful someone let me experience it. Watching it return to its long-time home felt kind of eerily satisfying.

Some people may keep fish because they truly don't have enough money for food (they are hungry). Also, a psychological feeling could induce people to keep larger fish and return smaller fish. Here, I occasionally see a guy during hunting season who has decided to strap a deer precariously to the front or top of his ride, rather than simply take the practical route and chuck it in the bed of his pickup. I have met people who only keep larger fish.

A blue catfish in the James takes 5 years to hit 5 pounds and a decade to hit 22 pounds, according to sampling data from the VDGIF.

10. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'll be honest...I eat SOME of the fish that I catch. But there are some things that I just WON'T do.

1. I won't eat a fish that's smaller than one pound. He gets returned to the wild...I don't even go to rule number two for them.
    2. I won't take home more than my limit. If I've already caught my limit and there is an angler nearby who isn't having as much luck, I'll offer to give them some of my catch. If not, it's going back.
    3. I won't take home a fish greater than five pounds. I'll get my picture taken with him and return it to the wild.
    4. If I do take home a fish, any part of the fish that is not edible will either be tossed into the body of water or buried (good fertilizer).

11. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    lot of good eatin wasted there .must not have liked fish head soup, i love it but yes that 1 should have been put back