rubbermaid tub

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by lendog, Jan 2, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    this was a quick set-up i came up with, i got a 50 gal. rubbermaid tub from wally world, a 380 gph pond pump, and about 3 foot of pvc with a few holes drilled in it with some tubing connecting it to the pump which should make a nice sprayer, a make shift inline filter can be added to the intake of the pump for a filter system, i hope ta hold atleast 75-100 sunnies for a couple days

Attached Files:

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i used something similar for herring and it worked ok, but herring are very fragile. it should work fine for sun fish, also thiers a good product called ammo lock that converts ammonia to a nonharmful form. you can find it at pet stores. ive never tried personnally but ive heard that poly-fill works great for filter material, should be able to find it at fabric and sowing stores its used for pillow filling and its cheap. good luck and keep us posted:smile2:

3. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    I have used the same thing although the sun eventually made the tote very fragile.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea i figure if it last a season or two i'll be happy, the tub is 20 bucks so i'll just transfer the guts to a new tub if that happens, i plan on keepin it pretty much out of direct sun light

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Lenny,
    Use some bait tank conditioner like Rejuvenade or BaitFresh, etc. I've got the same type of set-up and can keep shad alive for at least 3 days.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been using a 35 gallon tote for a couple of years. I was afraid it wasn't strong enough, so I put one tote inside another, with a bunch of bricks inside the outer tote to support the bottom of the inner one. This fall, the inner tote collapsed, and I figure doing it like that saved me from having a burned up motor.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    after wraping a couple bands of duct tape around the tub it still feels like it could buckle so i got lucky and my neighbor got me another exact same tub so i just stuck the one in the other and doubled it now it is very sturdy:wink:

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice job on the tank Lenny. Thinking about making mine out of a plastic drum. As I want something round to keep shad in...

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    those pond pumps run anywhere from 20-60 bucks depending on how many gph ya get, mine was 25 bucks and pumps 380 gph which should pump pretty decent, nice ta keep some bait always on hand, i made a small filter that can hold carbon which attaches to the intake of the pump, that should clean out some of the amnonia and keep the sunnies alive longer, i also cut a hole in the lid and put screen over the whole for some air or rain water if need be, i also have a spare lid if i want the tub completely covered

Attached Files: