Rubbermade bait tank for under 40$!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 30, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey guys! Got bored yesterday and made myself a bait tank. It was fairly cheap and works great. I bought a 50 gallon rubbermade tub(oval shaped) for the tank, a 20.00 pump along with a few other things. All you have to do is mount the aerator ontop of the lid with a small screw. This is really easy to accomplish due to the plastic lid. Next you will need to buy a few ft of pump hose, which can be found at any pet store. The pump I bought has two outlets for air so I spread them out across the tank and used suction cups to hold them in place. Two airstones are also needed and can be easily purchased at your pet store as well. I bought two 4" stones, one for each hose. Overall I bought:

1.50 gallon tub (10.00)_
    2. (20.00) 50 gallon pump
    3. 20 ft airhose (.99)
    4. Bag of suction cups (.99)
    5. 2 4" air stones (5.00) total
    6. bag of mineral rocks (17.00) OPTIONAL

the rocks are optional and a bit costly but, I went ahead and added them. Right now I have goldfish in there to see how long they last in the system. I figure they will last till I fish with em'. I will post pics on this as soon as possible.

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Sounds like an affordable bait tank. Also sounds like library material!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd like to see the pics. Do you plan on any kind of filteration system?

The one I am going to build, I plan on having aprox 100 gallon of underwater filteration.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The goldfish will outlast any other baitfish in the tank. The more "feeble" ones will need a filtration system for sure. The ammonia levels will skyrocket if not kept in check.
    Theres quite a few ideas in the library here.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes post pictures.
    I have a 125 gallon stock tank for keeping bait at home.
    PEte

6. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Well unfortunately I do not have a digital camera at the moment so I will have to take pictures on a normal camera, have them developed and then scan them to place them here. It may take a few days, sorry..:eek:

Mellon, I think I will add a filtration system to it. It will obviously take the cost above the posted 40 $ though, it should be well worth it. I would like to fatten some of these goldfish up for this prespawn that will be here soon enough.

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I use a 100gal. rubbermaid stock tank and I added a dual air pump with 2 12in. air stones and a sumersible koi pond pump with the filter already built in. Works great...

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It'll be in the library too. Post some pics and it's a complete article. Very good one too.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    sounds like you have made yourself a good bait tank

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Carolina scientific (i don't know their website off the top of my head) has some inexpensive filtration systems for like i think 9 a piece but they only do 10-15 gallons a piece so you'd have to buy a few plus the pumps to power the air through them. Another option is 2 of the 20 gallon in tank suction cup ones that walmart has .... The smaller version has worked well in my 10 gal tank and also in my 5 gallon bucket...

But sounds like you've got a good system going... I too would like to see the pics once you get them scanned in.

11. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    As promised here are the pics of the tank:

This is just the whole shot of the tank with the air pump mounted on top.

These are the air stones and air pump I bought recently:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/Picture011.jpg
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/Picture010.jpg

And just one of the inside with everything on.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/Picture012.jpg

as you can see I've got the water level low right now. I will probably just take extra buckets with me when bluegill fishing and dump them in along with the bluegill.

12. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
  13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Don't waste your electricity on goldfish. I have a dozen in a 100gallon stock tank that have been there for about 5 months and have not had any aeration or filtration devices on them. They have froze solid and are still kicking. Goldfish are tough as nails. They are currently in about 3 inches of water.

14. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    yeah, I figured that they would live regardless, I am just trying the equipment out in those shots.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    This is a website I found for building a never clean filter. You can size it down for bait tanks. I have a small pond I keep my little prizes in. Hope this helps.
    http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm