Rubber Band on Sinker?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rich-online, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    When I last went rockfishing, I was told to attach my sinker with a rubber band in case the weight got snagged. Has anyone tried that for catfish?

-- Rich

2. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I thought about using rubber bands at one point last year, but never got around to it. I didn't think they were strong enough and ended up buying some 10lb. mono. One thing I also thought about using was a small swivel snap. If you get hung up, the snap will straighten out and you can retrieve your rig. Just bend it back and you're ready to go again. One thing I might start do this year is instead of the swivel snap I’ll be using a standard swivel with out the snap and some light mono line. All I have to do is tie on my sinker and I can start fishing.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rubber band wouldnt work I dont think.

1. if you cast your gonna break it.
    2. they get brittle in the sun and youd lose your weight
    3. fighting a fish would likely break it
    4. rubber bands are hard to tye in a way that the knot wont slip.

Use light weight mono, soemthing like 10 pounds less than your main line.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Somewhere in the library I read about using rocks as sacrifice sinkers. They used rubberbands around the rock to hook a swivel to.
    There are a couple places over on the Iowa where I'm gonna try that.
    best of luck
    just

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think I would go with using lighter line then my main line for sinkers and for convience you could tie them in advance so all you have to do is loop the sinker line through the swivel.

6. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    you can try used spark plugs, just close the ground electrodre, bend it to touch the center pin. you can use a snap swevel , just put the eye on the ground before you close it up, just snap it where you want it to be.youcan save plugs when you tune up your truck car,boat, lawn mower. try,em you might like then .----cockroach