RPM Gauge not working

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by crazy, Apr 9, 2007.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I blew a fuse in my yamaha F115 4 stroke last weekend. The fuse that blew was the main ignition fuse that also controls the trim. Ever since then my RPM gauge is stuck on 2500. Is there a way to tell if it's the gauge that's not working or if the problem is on the motor it's self.

thanks
    Josh

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    I can't answer your question specifically but did you find what caused the fuse to blow in the first place and rectify that problem?...W

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nope I have no idea. All I know is that I was in 4ft waves and water was coming over the bow of the boat. Some kind of water induced power surge is all I can muster.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If the tachometer needle is stuck in position even with the motor turned off, I'd say it's pretty well fried, possibly due to a power surge when you blew the other fuse. The tach is connected to the Yamaha wiring harness directly, and the other end of the harness goes directly to the motor. So unless there's a loose/intermittent connection inside the harness or at the connection to the tach, my guess is your tach has gone bad.

Are the gauges new with the new motor, or were they existing before you installed the new motor?

I wonder if you dont have a hot lead somewhere with a bare spot or maybe it's being pinched and it got grounded while you were in the rough water?

Without knowing the cause of that blown fuse, I'd sure be leery of taking the boat out very far from home...

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah the gauges where existing when I did the motor switch. Hmm I'll have to check to see if there is a hot wire lose under the console did not think of that one. It's cool I have a box of 20amp fuses now!! :cool2: