Roy Rogers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Sep 23, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Recently we visited the Roy Rogers Museum in Branson. Well worth your time, especially if you're an old Roy and Trigger fan. Actually, Gene Autry was my favorite with Hop A Long next but also liked Roy and Gabby.

They have all kinds of old interesting stuff there. Brought back a lot of memories of seeing him at the Saturday afternoon "Picture Show". Back in those days kids prices was 9 cents and popcorn was a nickel a sack.

They moved the museum from California to Branson... they must have realized where the market is for Roy's age group. To think in another 10 or 20 years most people in that age group will be gone. The younger crowd won't know about the King of Cowboys or the smartest horse in the movies.
    Couple other things I didn't know about Roy. He dropped out of school due to necessity to help his family financially. His first job was in a shoe factory, later picked fruit. But not having an education didn't keep him from being very successful. It speaks of Rogers later reading the book "Grapes of Wrath". He comments that it was much like their trip from Ohio and early life in California. His families first trip to CA was in a 1923 Dodge.

They have all of Roy's guns on display. We noticed how few people will even look at the guns... mostly the younger generation don't slow down when they go by the gun displays. How time has changed, now days if a kid took a set of Roy Rogers toy guns to school they would be arrested.

About the pictures... Trigger is the stuffed horse and a wax figure of Roy.
    How many of you have bought gas at a station that was using one of these hand gas pumps? The last one I saw in service was here in AR. So happen the electricity was out and that station was the only place that could pump gas.
    Also bulk oil jars... we used them on the farm and filling stations used them. Seems those old motors used a lot of oil back then. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep You are so right Dayton. Roy's days are gone and ours are coming to and end. I am afraid when this and the next generation dies off the world won't even remember what it was like to be free to romp and stomp on a sat afternoon playing cowboys and Indians.
    The days on a stick horse or kicking a can down a long gravel road.
    Remember the days of rolling in a tire or taking a long wire and seeing how long you could keep that steel rim that came off a wagon wheel to see how far it would go before falling over.

Man it sucks getting old.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Dayton, it didn't say how many kids Roy & Dale adopted did it? I was trying to remember a few weeks ago...just remember they always kept a house full.
    And my favorite "Roy" story is still the one as they was filming one day, he disappeared for quite a while. State trooper came up on location on a new HD motorcycle. Roy loved motorcycles too. What ya gonna do when Roy Rodgers ask to try out yer bike?
    :big_smile:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My guess is that knowin you ya have bulk oil jars and the hand gas pump in one of your sheds. LOL! Thanx for the ride.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had my Mothers estate auction not too long ago. My Dad worked for Mobil Oil delivering bulk to farmers with a tank truck. He had memorabilia that he had saved since 1952. Bulk cans, signs, etc. It brought some of the highest prices per item, other than my Mother's antiques, than anything else.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Roy was always my favorite. For some reason, I never cared much for Gene. Then there were the 'B' westerns with stars like:

Lash LaRue
    Monte Hale
    Tom Mix
    Buster Crabbe
    Allan 'Rocky' Lane
    Wild Bill Elliott
    Bob Steele (character actor in his later years)
    Johnny Mack Brown
    'Hoot' Gibson

These generally played at one of the more run-down neighborhood theaters, a few blocks from the 'nice' downtown areas. And I remember one neighborhood theater that ran a Saturday afternoon matinee where you could get in for 6 bottle caps (can't remember if they had to be Coke or Pepsi). Regardless, you could almost always find a red wagonload of bottles to turn in for the two cent deposit. That would give you enough for a ticket, coke & popcorn, and even a couple of 2 for a quarter Krystal hamburgers afterward. Our parents wanted us to ride the bus to & from town, but it was only a couple of miles, so we often walked it so we'd have the extra money to spend.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My younger brother would scrounge around town for those 2 cent bottle deposits to fill the tank in his '48 Plymouth:smile2:

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'll agree that Gene Autry was my favorite.

I did meet Roy Rogers once while he was in town. Some complained that he wasn't quite a people person off screen, but he seemed quite nice to me. Dale Evans certainly was a kind soul.

My great uncle Gib (Uncle Tex, as he was called) played guitar and acted assundry parts in Roy's movies.

I used to make money off of soda bottles, too!

Thanks for the memories...:canny:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Another way we made money was to collect newspapers all over the neighborhood and take them to the paper mill. They paid a penny a pound, which could add up pretty quick. Can't understand it---today they only pay a half cent a pound. It's not worth a kid's time to collect them at that price, what with the prices today. Let's see, 5# of newspaper bought a candy bar; today, it takes 74# on newspaper to buy the same candybar. And some people wonder why we don't recycle.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton thanks for the memories. I have been to Branson and saw Roys displays, and side shows. I had totally forgotten about the manual gas pump. I still have some of the old oil jars and spouts. Enjoyed.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You aren't the only one who's favorite was Gene Autry.
    My full name is Mark Autry Johnson.:big_smile: Gene was grandma's favorite cowboy.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We got oil delivered in 55 gal barrels. Those old tractors and trucks had a strong appetite for oil. Sometime in the 40's the local Mobil dealer installed us a free underground bulk gasoline tank. We thought it was great until we (mostly me) started having to pump the gas from that underground tank. Couple years later Phillips 66 started installing free OVERHEAD bulk tanks. :confused2:

Gary, I know Roy and Dale adopted several but not sure how many. They had one but it died.
    He had two from his 2nd wife and they adopted one. He had no children from his first wife.

George, All I've found in the sheds is a hand barrel pump. :wink:

13. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    What some people might not realize is that the museum was located in Victorville, CA because that's were Roy and Dale used to live. I was fortunate enough to visit the museum before it moved. If you are at all a fan of the classic westerns or country western music, I'd recommend visiting.

I'd recommend picking up a copy of their joint biography [SIZE=-1]Happy Trails: The Story of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It's amazing to see how much turmoil they had in their lives.

BTW, the penguins DO NOT belong in the same display as the polar bear.

-- Rich
    [/SIZE]

14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi Dayton:

Just helping out here. I checked out the museum, here's a link to the website:

http://www.royrogers.com/museum.html

Here's a quick vid of it's previous location in California.

Roy Rogers Museum Leaves California.
    [youtubevid]q9cghyhsLKA[/youtubevid]