Rover Kastkings

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by philly35, May 13, 2018.

1. philly35

philly35 Member

State:
    iowa
    Anybody have any experience with these? I just got a couple of the 50 size and wondering what people think of them. Will they land a big Flathead? How is the drag?

Fishbones, HaskelCat and Catpaw like this.
  2. chadinsc

chadinsc Well-Known Member

State:
    upstate sc
    Name:
    Chad
    a buddy of mine has a 40 and it seems to be a very good reel. it throws as good as my abus but does have probably 20% less max drag when i tested them. but thats what a thumb is for. the only potential problem i see with the rover is getting parts in the future.

Fishbones likes this.

3. philly35

philly35 Member

State:
    iowa
    Well I bought two used but newer ones for fifty dollars so if I can’t get parts, I won’t be out much.

Fishbones and chadinsc like this.
  4. frevman

frevman Active Member

State:
    illinois
    Name:
    Sean
    You'll find that most guys that have them like them. I have two rover 60 that I recently purchased.
    I feel the drags are adequate, but they lack a wide range of adjustability.
    You should be pleased with your purchase. Quite a few of the guys on this site have them.

5. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    Yeah I got 2 40's and they out cast my 6500 abu. I feel the Abu will be more durable in The longrun but for 44.00 i can't complain at all.

Fishbones, Fate, Zigarro and 2 others like this.
  6. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Well-Known Member

State:
    KY
    Good reels. The biggest flathead I’ve caught on mine went 36 bit it was no problem at all, I have no doubt it’ll handle much bigger.

Fishbones, Fate and Zigarro like this.
  7. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I use a Rover 60 and it outcasts my Penn Fathom. I get 60yds off the boat and zero backlash when my rig hits the water. The drag isn't as strong as the Fathom but at $50 vs. $150, I'm happy. ;)

Fishbones, Fate and HaskelCat like this.
  8. Fate

Fate Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri (Poplar Bluff)
    Name:
    Fate Murray
    I have no complaints about mine !

Fishbones, HaskelCat and Zigarro like this.
  9. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    They do cast nice. if you have any experience with baitcasters, you will be casting them pretty well.

Drag is weak, but not often we need 12lbs of drag.

They are a good cheap reel for light/medium duty.. they are what they are and they aint what they aint.

IMG_2184.jpg

10. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    They match that Rippin Lips rod well too.

Fate and Fishbones like this.
  11. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    I'm gonna need you guys to stop coming in here raving about rovers. I've been trying to talk myself into buying a saltist20 and an okuma 12 ft longitude... But now I'm thinking of 3 rover 60 and 3 Shimano 9'6" for the same price!

BBK, Fate, Fishbones and 1 other person like this.
  12. Plumbob

Plumbob New Member

State:
    MO
    Name:
    Emery
    I really like my Kast King Rover 50

Fate and Fishbones like this.
  13. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    My Rover 60L works fine with the Rippin' Lips M spinning rod it's on. I bird's nested about half the spool the first time out (15 years of spinning gear only, so read as born again noob), I am considering buying more baitcasters. It will cast 25 lb. mono better than my longer, MH Shimano rod with 30 lb. braid That said, I'm honestly not looking at another Rover.

I want to put it on my 12 ft Penn Prevail surf rod and see what it can do casting wise.

Fishbones likes this.
  14. Fishbones

Fishbones Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    I bought the Rover 40 cause I like the smaller size reel. It has the same capacity as the slightly wider spooled 50 model. I have no complaints, I like the adjustments on the outside ,opposite the handle, easier to get at. No complaints with the amount of drag. It is intended to tire a fish out. Heck I started out when reels did not have any drag. It was all in the thumb. You can lock it down close to dead tight if you try and use your thumb. I spent 44 on mine and it will probably go the distance. It basically is the same as a "Ming Yang" reel, and lots of folks brag about that reel also.

15. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Haha I know what you mean. Looks like you are putting together a "long range" rod? The kastking casts like a dream, much better than the abu's I've owned (not saying its a better reel, just that it casts easier/farther). I usually 1/4 lob a 4 oz weight about 50 yards, I've never needed to actually fling it. 50 yards is a full cast for a lot of "catfish reels". I do keep my breaks really low, almost off, since I grew up bass fishing ever since I could walk. I just thumb the spool. That reel isn't stock out of the box though, I disassembled it and lubed up everything with good reel oil and grease. They come with some thick yellow pasty grease on the gears and mine seemed to have no oil in the bearings. It was loud when casting, the spool release was hard to press, and the handle was a bit rough when re-engaging the reel after a cast. Lubing fixed it up, it's smooth as butter and has been since last fall.

HaskelCat likes this.
  16. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Well-Known Member

State:
    KY
    I talked to the guy that runs the Catterman YouTube channel when I ordered mine. He said to lube it before using. I did that and it casts and retrieves as well as any reel I’ve ever used.

Zigarro likes this.