Roundhill's Lake Moultrie Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Jun 27, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    6/27/06 via cell phone: "fished until 10:30 when the wind died down and couldn't drift (Couldn't see too well, either, from sweat in eyes). Caught 14 fish, including a 38# Blue, and several channels, up to 14#. Drifting herring. Afternoon storm cut off activities. May go out later tonight.
    Anyone gets a chance, I'm in a camper at Lion's Beach, next door to Atkins Landing; drop by and come fish if you can. Will be here until at least sometime next week."
    :big_smile:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you talk to the ol' boy tell him I said hello!

If you get the chance to fish with him I would do it. He made the top ten at last years Cabelas King Kat Classic.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man it must be nice to be Roundhill, no work, no worries, just fishin and juggin.:smile2: One day I hope to be in that position.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice to hear from him, been a while since I've seen him on the board. Was lucky enough to fish with him on his toon at the National.

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I didn't hear from him today. I went out on Moultrie about 4:30, after work, no fresh bait, managed 1 channel ~5#'s and several small hits. Wind seemed to calm down a little, so I headed out into the main lake. 'Bout got blowed away! Decided to take what I had and head for home. :embarassed:

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I hear ya Blackwater. For the past week, there's been alot of days where the water was completely slick at 5:00 and the wind will pick up before dark hard enough to blow the hair off your head. The bite is still a tad slow (at least for me it is), but I'll go again tomorrow for my daily wind whippin'!

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hope to bump into some of yall I will be poking around in the upper lake all week trying my luck up there but I hope to manage at least 1 night on the lower beast I meant lake.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Last post before the week in heaven. I will be in a 17ft white HenryO with RIVER CAT on the side if anyone sees me out and about stop and give me a hollar I will be on ch69 all week. Everyone be safe and look out for those joyriders. There will be people on the lake that havent even been in a boat since last 4th of July.

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    got in the atkins fish tournament fished from 6am till 12 noon cought 11fish biggest 17lb blue the biggest fish weighed in was 41lb flathead but we had a good time was reel bad storms sat night we came home today will be back down monday night for the rest of the wk any one want to fish one night let me know cell #980-522-1749 or one morning early just let me know.see you on the lake ron howard.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Ron. I tried to get you on the vhf and cell on Thursday pm, but couldn't raise you either way. Glad you've been catching them, though.

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    fished all this wk of the morning we caught fish in the 3lb to 20lb range all over the lake between 6am and 2pm drifting herring in 25 to 35ft we fished two nights before the moon come up they whould bite better we cought 6 blues from 20lb to 38lb thursday night i think the best bite is in the middle of the day right now if you can find some stepe banks with fish on them then anchor on them. will be going back next wk. i hope this helps someone out i dont typ or spell to good so have a good laugh on roundhill.:smile2::wink:

12. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks Ron, I'm going back this weekend and was thinking of night fishing because of the heat. I don't think half of us can spell right but as long as you get the point or message across it's fine.. We value your expertice and that what really matters. Look forward to seeing you up there.

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    went out fryday from 3pm to 7pm cought 6 blues from 6lb to 14lb was going out fry night but mother nature had some 60mph wind and rain so went out saturday morning fished from 7am to 3pm cought 47 blues an channels about half an half from 4lb to 23lb drifting from 15ft to 35ft marked a lot of fish using herring for bate fresh. the fish are all over the lake one strange thing the larger blues looked like they just came off the bed the fines wer blood red like they had been faning thear bed i thout the spawn was over a month ago maybe some go later than outhers maybe tommy will know well this is to long winded for a redneck see you soon . ron howard

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for that report, Ron. Sounds like they are biting good, now. I've seen those fish have spawning marks on them like that before, late like this. The don't all go at once, some are always bringing up the rear, ya know. :roll_eyes:
    I just go in from a trip to Murphy, kinda tired of riding. Catchya later....

15. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Roundhill/Tommy,
    I am gonna be down there next Monday thru Friday 7/31-8/3. I haven't been down there since Memorial Day, so I have no clue where to start. What do you think my best bet would be, drifting or anchoring, Marion or Moultrie, bream or herring? Also I'll probably be fishing the afternoons mostly, so would I need to concentrate on the humps or deep water? Thanks for all the info!!

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Daniel, Roundhill can probably help you more than I can right now; haven't been lately. Read his report above, and also this one by Catfishrus: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=709677#post709677.
    Hope this will help you. It seems the fish are pretty scattered, but I would try the dropoffs later in the day, where the water goes from 15 or 20' and falls off. Try different depth ranges until you locate them, and watch the sonar for schools of bait fish. That's a plus. Try fishing with fresh herring or perch. I always try to have several different offerings for them, and don't hesitate to put a nightcrawler on a 5/0 circle hook if you want a few eaters.:big_smile:

17. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Tommy!!
    Like I said it will be next Monday before I go down, hopefully they won't change patterns too much between now and then. August of 2005 was my first Santee trip, I booked a trip with Doug Allen out of Bonneau. We drifted around Pinopolis and caught some very nice fish, biggest being 40+. I figured that drifting was the best method to at least locate some fish, hopefully there will be enough wind to drift. If not then I'll have to try something a little different. Thanks for the info!!