Round reel for $100.00?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nralover, Jan 6, 2010.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Who makes a big 7000 size round reel for 100.00 or so? Does such an animal even exist?

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    keep an eye out on ebay, you can occasionally get great deals on abu 7000's for under or around $100.

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    If you keep checking ebay, you can find Abu 7000's for $100 or so, sometimes much less depending on the bidders, in great used condition. I've seen new ones go for that too, every once in a while. If you have any Wal-Mart's around, I've seen Abu 7000i reels for $99.99 there too. The new 7000's are made in China, not Sweden, but you're not going to find any reel that size for less than $100 that's not made in China, so you might as well get an Abu.

You may be able to find some Shimano Triton reels for $100 or less, they are very good reels. Same thing for some of the Okuma reels. Bass Pro Shops has some private label reels in the saltwater section that are less than $100. Shakespeare has the Arsenal and Tidewater reels, both are priced well and perform well. Then you've got the old standby, the various Penn reels.

If you're not worried about awesome castability, then any of the reels above are going to be fine. If you're looking for long casting, well, get more money or be prepared to pay your dues by training your thumb and lots of practice.

Lots of people are talking about the Min Yang reels, but to be honest, the newest posts on the forum are the only positive ones I've read. Past posts about those reels slammed them pretty hard, on this site, and on others I've seen.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Got my Abu 7000i on ebay for $60 and got my Ming Yang CL70 for $37 thats two round 7000 reels for $100

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say ebay .
    I pick up alot of great reels at auctions
    check out auctionzip.com just enter your zip and the miles you are willing to go .
    Alot of good auctions here , one I can count on weekly to have good fishing items .

6. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not to stir up controversy or anything, but I would love to see "bashing" posts from folks that actually own them. The people that own and fish with them love them, those that don't own bash them for being chinese made and abu rip-offs. Even though they are cheap, I did a tremendous amount of research before buying mine and I was hard pressed to find a negative comment on them (except, of course, for the "I hate chinese reels" or "they are so cheap bacause there was no R&D, just an Abu copy" "blah, blah, blah"). I own a CZH60 and I would bet a years salary it would hold up to any fish a similar sized abu (6000 series) will, if not more. Order one and get a feel yourself!

edit- a little more on topic, catfish connection sells a 7000i for around $90+shipping

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. festus

festus New Member

You can get a brand new Abu 7000B for right around $100, maybe less I got a brand new Abu 6000B for $44.99 plus shipping, it just came in today. It's made in Sweden, which leads me to believe the 7000B isn't the Chinese model. The B series have a bushing on one side of the reel instead of a bearing. However, you can replace the bushing with a bearing.

Click here for a look: http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-2/7000b.jpg

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Good post,I was gonna say something along these lines,but ya beat me to it. I WILL be ordering a Ming Yang70 series reel when my tax refund is here. I dont think I'll be a bit dissapointed either.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yea richard I hear from ramon they are Awesome reels for being made in china..He says the only probleme is they are extremly cold in the winter because there is NO plastic on them!!!

10. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Im going to stick my neck out & say a Penn 320. Why, #1 because the newer 7000s are not the same quality they used to be.

The 320 has a better drag than a stock 7000. The clicker on a 320 is louder & will last longer. The pawls on the level wind of a 320 are also much more durable. With a live perch not many, if anyone, will throw any further with a 7000. With a 4 oz. weight & 7' rod I can come close to emptying the spool of #40 on my 320.

The biggest problem with a Penn 320 is, it does not have the bling factor that will reel in the prospective fisherman with money in his pocket. It is not perfect. But an internet search will find them new for $99

Jeff

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    A penn reel is a good choice...if you looking for a reel that you can get a rod and reel for under 120 would be a penn 209 or 309...about $50-$60 and you can get a decent rod for a total of $100 but i would get s twc rod and would put me around 120 after all said and done...But a penn 209 or 309 if you looking for the cheapest possible good reel..

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d hit E-bay too.I bought 3 Daiwa Saltists this year,they list for $189.I got one for $102,one for$112,and the last one for $107.All new and all with free shipping,just gotta be patient.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Really like the salt-striker baitcaster I have (essentially a Trion 66) problem is you would have to get one used at this point... another nice reel I'd consider buying used (besides an old Abu) would be a Quantum Iron.

Haven't seen the Ming reels, but generally positive comments here.

Shawn

14. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Everyone is telling you right I was watching 3 7000i's on my e-bay last week they were Factory Reconditioned but came with warranty one went off for $61 with $10 shipping and one was like $75. I saw a 7000i LCsyncro which has the built in line counter and new syncro drag system was $99 buy it now option.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My wife bought a 7000i at Wallly World last year for $100. For my birthday. Like others have said E-bay is a great place to pick up some good reel for not so many $$$$$$.

16. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree whole heartedly with what this gentleman said. The own 2 of the Penn 320s and it is my favorite baitcaster ever. Hell of a drag, loud arse clicker, tuff as nails, a winch, plenty of line capacity for my braid and I can cast it as far as any reel I own if not further except my Big Penn Spinning reels. I have gotten both for under $100

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Try some abu "rebuilders" Local guys around here use to sell the 7000's for $75 with a rebuilt Berkley E-cat!

18. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Did you get it at Walmart, how are the gears brass or plastic ? just wondering.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  19. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I just bought a brand new abu 7000ics pro rocket on ebay for 103.19 shipped.I needed one more heavy reel and couldn't pass it up for the $$.There's one left

20. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The only place that I know of that sells them in the US is stingray tackle. There is hardly any plastic on them at all. The only plastic piece on mine is the clicker button, even the handle is solid metal (not sure what kind of metal, maybe aluminum).

When I was researching them a while back, IIRC, the bass pro shops megacast reels are a re-branded ming yang. I cannot vouch fully for that (as I have never owned a megacast reel), but others have said they are almost identical side by side.