round plastic floats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Jul 31, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does anyone use the round floats {that use a battery} to light up at nite. if so how good are they. thanks cliff

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Never used one of those, but I have used the little light sticks that attach to a bobber.

They seem to work reasonably well.
    Certainly better that not having them at all, but if you stare at them to long/hard they can appear to move even if they are not moving at all.

It can drive you batty on a slow bite night.:wink::smile2:

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yeah well my poles usually start doing that after a few hours anyways.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate plastic bobbers period with or without lights I think they stink..They eventually get leaks in them and start to sink and if your fishing under some trees,around rocks or dam walls they will easily break if your not careful..I use the glow sticks also.Don't waste your money on plastic bobbers.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use cork cigar floats with the lightsticks taped to them. Used them for years. The only problem is when the bobber turns it seems to disappear. I can usely tell if it's turning and dont even flinch. but, some people I've turned on to them grab their pole and run up the bank trying to set the hook. If you can't tell if it's turning or not simply put one on each side of the bobber. they have the little ones at walmart that have little pieces of flourescent I.V. tubing with them. you break and shake it, then slide the tubing over the ends of the lightstick and tape to the tubing as not to cover the lightstick. works really well.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We use the little glow sticks from Wally World, too. Used to use the battery powered ones, but they are real bad about cracking and they are a real pain to put on the line. Now we use the great big white stick floats from Wally World and put the little IV tubes on the line right above them, using a bead to hold them in place. That way all we have to do is add the glow stick when it gets dark.

Once up at LBL, my hubby and I were using the little battery powered bobbers. I was using a yellow one when my line snapped. There were some folks camping a little ways up the shore, and when my float when flying past the tent we heard somebody scream! Guess they thought it was aliens!!:crazy::wink::smile2:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use plastic floats before but I stop using them because they dont last, now I use Premier Catfish Stalker Floats.

9. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Gotta agree with most on this thread...Stay away from the plastic ones. Lots of nice pole floats and other types out there that will last much longer than the plastic.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I stop using the Round Bobbers all together and started going with the Pencil Bobber & Cigar Floats that are weighted & made of Balsa wood, and I will sometime add a glow stick held on by a strip of electrical tape. I just like using slip-floats set ups when using Bobbers.

"To me"using round Bobbers (of any kind) makes it harder for the fish to take it under water, it would be like us trying to pull a beach ball under water.

"Pencil Bobbers & Cigar Floats" only for me.
    :wink:

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll use a slip bobber setup that was in the member library that uses a balloon. You can put a glow stick inside the balloon for night fishing.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bought some of these this spring and have never seen anything that comes close to them. Now i need to order some glow sticks that go in them.Both reasonable in price (cheap actually) and it's to a sponsor of this fine site we all enjoy.