Rough Year

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cantstopgrandma, Aug 8, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Anybody else having a rough year of catfishing? I'm catching some, but i'm not tearing them up like i usually do. I dont trophy hunt, i just want eaters. I been to all my best spots, and i'm catching a few, but nothing like i've done it years past. I've tried different baits, different presentations, and everything. I'm not sure if i'm overcomplicating things as i learn more, or whats wrong. Anybody else having a year like mine?

2. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    ya i am all i can tell u is to fish new spots if there not there go find em hope this helps good luck

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe to many people are keeping fish from the spots you fish, areas can be fished down to where there is not many cats left.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I've had a bad year..Been having all kinds of problems with my boat and I can't seem to catch too much this year..Something seems off..

5. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know what the deal is around here but the cat's just are not bitting like they normally do on any bait. i can't figure what the problem is and don't have any ideal either.:smile2:

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its all a lil strange.. everything thats happenin in these times.. :eek:oooh:

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m not having a bad year so far,but some of my favorite holes from other years aint producing like they used to.They don,t look like they,re getting hit anymore than usual either.I just did some more scouting and found some new ones that are producing.:wink:

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If I lived somewhere else i would suspect this, but catfishing really isn't that popular here. Everybody is too interested in striped bass and other species. I know tons of people that throw catfish back because "those things are nasty", to which i reply, "your crazy, they're the best fish to eat!".

As others have said, it just seems "off" this year. I knew something wasn't right the other day when i only caught 6 keepers on chicken livers, fishing for about 6 hours. I'm running out of ideas and places to try. I think i'm gonna switch up and try to catch some crappie or something else next weekend.

9. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i live in so il and it has kinda slowed down here to. but all in good time i say.i do search for more spots to go to like they said people keeping the fish can really slow a spot down.maybe get a lake map or use like google earth and see if u cant find better spots to get to. hope it helps

10. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I'm having a banner year. I fish about 5 times a week and am into the triple digets in numbers caught. Most are from 1 to 3 pounds. Nearly all channels and a couple of 5 pounders and the largest 9 lb.

The water here is very high and places dry last year now have water again.

Things are slowing a bit the last two weeks.