Rough River Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by vlparrish, Dec 20, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Does anyone here fish Rough River Lake? My father lives on Rough River and I fish it and the lake once in a while and was wondering if anyone else fishes it? I have found it isn't to bad for a channel cat or two, but I haven't ever gotten into the flatheads or blues. I have caught limited numbers of crappie and a few hybrid stripers from there also. If anyone has any info on fishing the lake, please let me know. Vern

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey vern, i fish rough river quite often. it is an awesome channel cat lake and winter time is the best time to fish it.we had a great year last year catching some very good fish. we had lots of fish in the 8-10 pound range. my biggest out of this lake so far is 13 pounds. i have been waiting all this season for the lake to finally get down to winter pool. now all we need is some rain to muddy the water and get em moving and its on! we will probably be heading there this weekend. i only live 20 minutes away. as far as blues and flats are concerned, there are no blues that i am aware of. they are not stocked but some may be in it from fishermen putting them there. i hear about people catching " blues" out of it all the time but i am sure 99.9 % of them are misidentified channel cats. now there are some good flatheads in the lake or were. noodling, jugging and trotlining is so overpracticed on the lake that it has put a serious dent in the big fish population. but if your after channels, this is one great lake. i don know how familiar you are with the lake but i would be glad to put you on some fish sometime. just pm me and let me know when your gonna be down. i'm off work til 07' and am just dying to get into a mess of cats.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Keith, thanks, I would like to get together sometime. I doubt it will be during the holidays though, cause we are so busy right now.My old man has gotten some blues on rough river supposedly, but he could have misidentified channels. If it wasn't for noodling there would be some huge flatheads there too. I mostly fish rough creek and the upper ends of the lake, around Mercer's camp and Adkins camp, if you know where that is. I have always had the good fortune of catching channels on the lake, but they really don't interest me much. I am used to getting bigger flatheads and blues out of the river than the size is improbable of being reached by channels. Vern

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    yeah i know where those places are. i fish that area a bit for crappie but have never done very good catfishing there. too far upriver for most of the big cats to travel. i'm with ya as far as targeting big fish but i also get a kick out of catching big channels. of course i use much lighter equiptment than i do for the big boys. 9 foot medium action rods and 15 pound test. the big draw is the shear numbers of channels you can catch in some of these wintering holes. it's not uncommon to catch well 40-50 good sized fish in a day. when theyre on, preferably after a good rain, the action is a blast! i generally fish there during the winter months and start back over at cannelton in early spring. havent done any good over there this fall. seemed like everytime i was available to go, the water or the weather was uncooperative. had a fantastic may and did decent this summer for blues but my biggest fish this year, a 43 pounder, came in march.