Rough River Lake a winter blue paradise!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Mrquickset, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hello to all my former fellow Kentuckians. I'm living in Iowa now and sure do miss the big blue cat action on my favorite lake...Rough River!

I have carried this secret for the past 8 years with the hopes of getting back to my old fishing spots some day. Well, it looks like I will not be able to make the trip any time soon and I'm busy focussing on the Big MO river in Western Iowa. So, for what ever reason, I have decided to share with you folks my favorite spots, this time of year, on Rough River Lake.

First of all, I think I'm driven somewhat by the front that is entering Kentucky getting ready to bring lots of rain.
    Water needs to be freshly muddy from heavy rains that fill up the ditches and tributaries. As a rule, if it's too muddy to catch crappie...then it's time to get in on some blue cat action.

Get you some cut bait and head to North Fork Boat ramp. This time of year, the river is at winter pool and you can fish in the river channel that comes through the bridge. Shad guts or cut bait can prove to be the best bait. I used small portions for bait sometimes as little as 1 1/2 inch in diameter.

Cast as far out as you can and the current will take you where you need to be. I have spent many hours this time of year catching 10-20 pound blues at this spot. I would set up just to the right of the boat ramp and cast straight out. You should have a bite within a half of an hour or so. If not, don't be afraid to move under the bridge or around the lake a little until you find them. The blues are congregated in this area every year! It's not a matter of "if" they are going to be there, the question is when? If you will focus on this area, you will have success. I have over 10 years of success at this spot.

As the water warms this spring, you can focus on another area...Peter Cave. The blues have to migrate through that point to nest. Position yourself here during a spring rain and hold on for the action!

Good luck and if I were in Kentucky today, I would be waiting with anticipation for the rains coming in!

2. Boondock

Boondock New Member

State:
    Harrods Creek, Kentucky
    Im interested to see if this spot is still hot, I will be going down there this weekend. Unfourtanatly my buddy I usually fish with who has a boat can not make it this weekend, the cabin we stay at is right near the bridge of the north fork, I plan on netting some shad and letting them sit over night. I will let you guys know the results.

3. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Looks like there has been plenty of rain the past few days...you should do well.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live right here at North Fork and I have never cought a Blue cat out of this lake but it is plum full of flats and channels though. I think there are a few other spots that produce better in winter pool but there are a few guys that like to fish off the hump thats beside the ramp in winter pool and do well. Main reason is the shad stay stacked up in that spot all winter and everyone knows the fish stay close to the food. that is one of the spots I go to in the late evening to through net shad for the next morning if I dont have any.