Rough Night, 7/2 Fishing Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Jul 3, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Well,
    I had to take my daughter (10) out last night so she would have a chance to even the score with her brother, but we picked the wrong night.
    We had top quality bait, including another 10" bullhead, but couldn't find a single hungry flathead.
    The bugs, though, were very hungry, and we gave blood several times from several places.
    We stayed out pretty late hoping to get her one (she wants her picture posted bad... can't have brother taking all the glory), but it was in vain.
    River is down, too.
    We had to pass over a lot more 2.5' water last night than I have in a long time.
    I hate to say it, but we may want to change the location for Friday night to someplace with deeper water. I'm hoping for a chance to do some prospecting for new places before Friday, so keep an eye out for an update.

Tony

PS: We did have a really nice time enjoying the stars, distant fireworks, herons, jumping fish, and quite a few laughs- so (as usual) a good night on the water anyway.

2. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    It's always good to fish with the kids, even if you don't catch anything. I am sure she will get another chance to "even the score" with her brother. It's too bad you didn't get anything on the 10" bullhead, I would have loved to catch a big flathead on that. Good luck next time, and thanks for the update.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Let me know. I trust your judgement as it is your water.

Sal:wink:

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Oh, we could still get there. 20-30 yards of rowing/paddling to clear the shore at the ramp, then another 15 yards near the first bridge. More than usual, but still not a problem.

My log book shows few fish there around the 4th of July, though, so I'm thinking about an alternate spot. Need to investigate. Will advise.

BTW: Who's in for the BBQ? Who's in for all night?

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm in with Don!
    What do you mean, your log book shows few fish on the 4th of July! Who planned this trip anyway? LOL
    Sparky

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

little sister will get her pic up soon it sounds like she is a determined little gir with a proud poppa. Keep up the good work.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey, good fishing or bad fishing, I still gotta try!
    Like I told my daughter, any second the Big One could come along...any second...

We should figure on burgers for the picnic and sandwiches for the middle of the night. We could even go ashore & brew some coffee!
    I'll take care of grille & charcoal for everyone.

8. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I'm in for all night as earlier advertised. That's a rough night indeed. Sounds like one of the nights that I have been having here in the last month. I need to look at a map, but what are the prospects that you have off the top of your head? Catching something isn't promised to anyone, but we do want the conditions in our favor. LOL. Did you try for channels, or was it strictly flathead fishing?

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ill bring homebrew and brats and perhaps a slab of something else thats meaty. Ill have plenty to share. How many folks are coming?

I can also bring a few logs and my cooker... it wont be a problem, unless there is nowhere for a small fire.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    At least you got to spend some quality time with your daughter. That is always nice.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Very determined, just like her mom! LOL
    Happy Independence Day!

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Vic-
    the channels around there have always been hungry for cut bait or crawlers.
    Sal-
    with a little effort a guy could get to where he could build a fire & fish sitting next to it, especially after this dry spell.
    All:
    JSpiel & I are going to try to locate some additional spots that we may want to hit. Please check for info late Thursday night & early Friday morning. Early Friday means 10 or 11 if Thursday night goes well....

I'll say this with emphasis: Mosquitoes will be a problem, be prepared. They "chill out" after 11 or so, but before that.... bad news...

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Always got to have a contingency plan when the targeted species is finicky. LOL.

Then I'm just going to have to start fishing at 11:01. I'm allergic to mosquitoes...

just kidding:big_smile: