The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
867 Posts
Niel,
Look at page 13 of the 2021 regulations
Its under definitions / using live bait.

At least i think thats were the answer is.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Steven,
I sent an e-mail to G&F and their reply sent me to the same place.
I must be missing it. I will read it again. All I see is live bait regulations and nothing on dead/cut bait. It is clear about the definition of game fish and that you cannot use any part of a game fish for bait. It describes legal live bait clearly but nothing (as far as I can tell) on whether I could cut up a sucker for bait, for example. I guess I'm overthinking it. It says no game fish so I figure if it's not a game fish, it's okay for bait.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
867 Posts
Just from my quick read thru,

As long as you catch it legally. You can use it bait. doesn't matter if its dead or alive.

This is based off of how things work in Ga., S.C. & Tenn. though. So it could be a little different.

Something else you might do. Contact your local game warden. Hes the one who you will be dealing with on the water. Ive seen more than once were some person in the main office gives a answer the people on the ground dont agree with.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steven,
I just heard from G&F and was told that my understanding is correct. If it is a "rough fish" as defined by the guidebook, it is okay to use as cut bait. Whew, definitely spent too much time fretting this but I don't want to take a chance on a ticket.
Thanks for helping.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,008 Posts
Up here in SD we cannot use carp or such or any game fish. Suckers, mooneye, bullheads ok. Been trying to get GFP to let us use cut asian in waters they already in. Below Gavins Point dam, Big Sioux below Sioux Falls, and James river. No reply yet.

Those asian ones, cut up, are good bait. From what I have heard. After they land in your boat then bruise your shins, a good response would be to cut them up.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
All rough fish (page 12) regardless of size can be cut up for bait.

Baitfish are listed (shad,minnows ect) in live bait but you can cut them up. Using common carp and bowfin longer than 6 inches alive is not allowed but can be cut up.

Bream are where you can get into trouble and it is about size and how you got them.

Asian carp is good bait and can be cut up. Just don't transport them.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Mickey,
That part I saw. Also any caught on hook and line and used for bait must count against the daily limit.
I rarely ever see a G&F officer. One time I was on the Buffalo and one showed up and asked me for license but didn't even look in my bait bucket which was slickheads caught in a tributary of Buffalo. I've just got way too much time on my hands this winter and decided to memorize the regs. :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Knowing the regs is a good thing. I fish in 6 to 8 different states every year and it takes a lot of studying. One thing I will tell you is Missouri is the worst for Game Wardens who will go to great lengths to write you up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fish Washington state...When the regs say barbless hooks...The wardens will run a cotton ball over the point of your hook...If any catches, you get a ticket

1 - 17 of 17 Posts