Rough day on the rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We met swamprat and his friend Brian yesterday morning and put in at the ballpark in Georgetown. The day started badly. There was an otter in the bait hole, and he had all the bait run out! We had to hit the Independent seafood market and BUY mullet. After we got that squared away, we motored out in the bay to the bridges, to fish. Shortly after we got set up, we had a 12 pound blue in the boat. Soon, the wind picked up. The tide was running out, and the wind was blowing in, and soon, the rollers were breaking over the bow of the boat!!! It didn't take long to realize that it was time to get off the bay! :wink: We eased back into to the shelter of the Sampit River. We went back to the bait hole. The otter was gone, and bait was caught in abundance. We then tried fishin' in the Sampit river, but didn't get a bite. We decided to call it a day. Some Mexican fellows were trailering their boat, and gave us 3 fine trout they had caught. On the way home we stopped at Dewitt's Bluff to look around, let the dog run, and clean the fish. I figure I have about $20 a pound in the catfish fillets I have, so they ought to eat real good!!! Overall the trip was good, as we didn't tear anything up, and made it home alive. It's hard to believe how much these long day trips take out of me, but I was beat down when I got home, and slept for 10 hours!! That said, I'm ready to do it again, but I WILL check the coastal wind reports BEFORE we go!!! :big_smile: BTW: My engine ran like a top, since I cleaned out the carb with the sticking float.
    Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I thought about you guys, but hadn't heard if you were going for certain, or I would have warned you. South winds, outgoing tide, lots of extra water coming down from the GPD right now.... Stay away! I stayed at home solely based on the wind and tide prediction. I was also run off the bay on Thursday by the same conditions. Winyah is tricky; depending on those conditions. When I go I try to time it around the tides and winds to work in my favor as often as I can. Sorry you got run off, but today will be much better. I may try it shortly myself...

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Tommy. The water was as slick as glass when we started, but as you say, when the wind and tide started running in opposite directions, it turned ugly real fast. I have a lot to learn about coastal fishin'!! :big_smile:

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I went outside earlier to hook up the boat and go, but ran out of wind. This higher humidity and COPD don't mix very well most days. Think I'd better hang around home today instead. :angry:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sorry that you had those unfavorable conditions yesterday. I reckon I should have warned you about the winds and tides but never though about it. I am like Tommy I ALWAYS do a wind and tide search and try and plan my day around it. The BPD is a good place to go up and get out of some wind and also the black river and sampit.:wink: Did yall get some more fresh mullet for Marvin.:crazy:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Did yall get some more fresh mullet for Marvin.:crazy:>

LOL! We told Marvin he had to quit eating all our bait! We gave him the trout this time!! He was pretty tickled to get them. We will have fried catfish fillets here tonight!

Bill in SC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    After he eats them trout he wont ever want another mullet.:wink:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    He already ate them lat night! He said they were real good! He is anxiously awaiting the shad run so he can get his fill of them next! :crazy::big_smile::eek:oooh:

Bill in SC

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Are you sure that Marvin isnt a CATFISH.:smile2:​

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hmmmm, never thought about it that way! :big_smile: Who knows?? :wink:

BB

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hmmm... this Marvin guy is intriguing. I don't think I've met him, but when I do, maybe I'd better keep a watch on my sardines and crackers. :wink:

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Bill I can't PM you pics but heres as good as I can do for a comparison.

Attached Files:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Marvin is my pard, BAREFOOTFISHN's dad. He was at our last tourney, but kept a low profile. He is an accountant here in B'Ville. He also teaches economics at Northeast Tech in Cheraw. He is very knowledgable on many subjects. He is an ace chess and pool player too. He's pretty much a living legend in these parts! :wink: Yes, "intriguing" is a great adjective for Marvin!
    I appreciate the photos, Wes!! Those eyes DO look much stouter than what I've been dealing with, with the 'Big Game' rods
    Bill in SC

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yep, I don't think I was introduced to Marvin, but at least now I know who the brain behind Team Hardcore is. :wink:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Absolutely! :wink:

BB in SC

16. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I told Marvin bout what u said bout his user name (BAITEATER). He got a real kick out of it, thought he might bust a gut laughing. Told him to go ahead and log in as BAITEATER he said he would. If u read this tonight come by tomarow and that will be here for u:cool2:

17. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    If he aint he sure does like too eat like they do. But when he does he sure knows how to cook em.:eek:oooh: