Rough day on the river...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Dec 22, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    With the great 60 degree tempatures today, everything was to good to be true, despite the temp it was a rough day on the river. The current was so strong that we couldn't even anchor up with a 30 lb river anchor, must have tried to anchor up at 5 or 6 different spots and it wasn't happening. Finally anchored in 5 ft of water and fished the mouth of a marina, simply because it was the only place we could anchor up, caught 1 channel. Then the only other spot, we had to tie off to one of those brown cylinders, caught 3 fish there, 2 channels and a small blue. All and all just a very discouraging day to say the least. We did catch some monster shad, a couple that were probably pushing a pound each, would have been nice to be able to bait up with them puppies and fish more of the river but I guess it just wasn't our day. Got a couple pics of some good size channels, 1 caught by ProstreetS10, and 1 by his buddy Nick...Oh well, its still nice to get out on the water, even if it doesn't pan out. Hope everyone else had a little better luck than we did.:sad2:

Attached Files:

2. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Nice fish. I was thinking of heading to the river myself but the level was way too high for my liking. Thanks for sharing, be safe.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    don't get feeling too bad.. lol.. we had a slow day as well. the river was boomin still to the top of its bank! and we couldn't fish the holes we wanted to... end result a few channels , no flats everything under 10 pounds....rollo

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice report and those were nice channels, I might mention you guys made me feel better about not getting the boat out today though, thanks!!:wink:

Me and Dinkbuster are headed out in the morning to shore fish the lower GMR. Will report later

Salmonid

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, hey Mark, we were marking alot and I mean alot of fish towards the mouth of the GMR....Just a heads up. Be carefull tommorow to its supposed to get nasty...:wink:

6. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Update: I did get the poles in the water Friday for 3 hours and caught 2 Blues at 13 and 17 lbs. It was a slow bite and it died completely around 5pm.

I used big live shad...around 5-6 inches.

Today I tried to again fish off the back of my winterized boat and there was nothing there, so I took my Boston Whaler up into the mouth of the Little Miami River, into the first big bend and caught 6lb channel, 5 lb blue, 15 lb. blue, 21 lb blue....which is now my avatar. I can catch shad by the hundreds in my marina within 5 minutes, but I only took 2 doz shad with me and had to leave because I stupidly ran out of bait because of all the hits and hangups.

I really should have caught several more cats but missed runs and had several tap tap tap then small runs which I missed. Again all 5-6 inch live bait.

This was my first attempt at using circle hooks and as others have said I don't know if I like not hammering the hook home, so I don't know if I will keep using them.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
  7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I gotta agree with Tbull today was pretty rough on the river. I guess since everyone caught a fish and we were on the water makes for a better day than sitting at the house.:wink:

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    bull nice fish merry christmas also:roll_eyes:

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincy Cat thanks for the update, I gotta tell you we were just talking yesterday about the LMR while we were on the river, I had never caught anything descent out of there, have always wanted to fish the mouth of it on the Ohio. The LMR is where I get almost all of my shad, since it's packed full of them, it doesn't suprise me that the Blues roamed up into there a little ways for a nice Christmas dinner....Thanks for sharing and everyone have great Christmas.:wink:

10. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan to try LMR mouth again tomorrow and/or Wednesday. The river will bottom out at 32' then go back up a few feet, so the current should be down a little.

I used to fish LMR mouth 20 years ago and knew there were deep holes in the first bend, and then after seeing a 40+ lb blue roll on the surface I knew they would be there.

I may try the inside bend altho i know it's much more shallow.....thoughts?

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincy Cat if it aint broke dont fix it is all I have to say.. I would stick with whats producing your fish bud.:wink:

12. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Update: I got out into the mouth of the LMR for 4 hours today and had another mixed result. Caught a 6 lb channel and then a 22 lb blue at the end of the day right at dusk to top off the day after a bunch of short runs all freakin day long.
    I was marking fish all day, but nothing wanted to bite, outside the little taps. I was again using 5-6 inch shad but all died on me before I got to my spot.

My graph was showing lots of big fish in lots of areas so I'm a little disappointed with the results, but its always good to get out.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincy Cat it seems to me every time you go out your busting atleast 1 over 20lbs...Hmmm....Seems like a good trip to me, if you want, I can meet you down at that spot, just incase you need any tips or anything???....LOL:smile2:, 2 heads are better than one right??:smile2::big_smile:........nice catch

14. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tbull, I'll take you up on that offer sometime and today would have been a good day for it but i just commited to taking a lady friend with me, so hopefully I will get another 20+. I've only been on the LMR 2 times in recent times so I'm starting to learn the holes a little better. I was marking fish like crazy yesterday, but wasn't getting big runs at all. I was thinking I may have been seeing lots of channels...???

15. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    December 26 Update:

I went back to LMR again today and had a replay of yesterday.....no I swear I'm not making this up..... I caught a 5 lb channel and a 22 lb blue, just like yesterday.........the one difference is I caught a 14" sauger on a 6" shad. Again I had lots of taps and short runs. I switched to smaller hooks hoping that would help my hook up rate and the 22 lb'r did come on the smaller hook, but that doesn't mean much to me. After catching the sauger, and getting all the small taps, I wonder if a lot of the taps I getting were from sauger.

Attached Files:

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice catch man, the small taps do not neccesarily mean small fish. My buddy ProstreetS10 caught a 26lber on the river that had been tapping his rod like a small channel for a few minutes. You never can tell sometimes, and this time of year, the blues can get very gentle with the way they take the bait. We have had a little bit of both, some bearing burning clicker runs, and light taps. Always best to be ready, and not let light taps on the line get into your head, more often then not in my experience, especially this time of year, it can be much larger than you think. I caught a 5lb blue last time out, that I didnt even know was on the line, I picked up my rod to change bait, and had a fish on....Man that sauger must be full huh???:big_smile:

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Griff, sounds to me like you are doing everything right. You catch fish every time out, get at least one over 20lbs. It is the dead center of WINTER lol. You are making the rest of us look bad. I'm just hackin on ya G lol. Congrats on the catches. If you are marking fish and not catching them have you tried suspending baits at the depth you mark them, or put baits on bottom at the same depth you see the suspended ones? You know like on a sharp sloping ledge, on the sides of the hole. I have caught channels while anchored in deep water (15 ft on this little river) and tossed my baits to the edge of the hole in 3 to 10 ft. The fish will suspend at a depth and drift toward either side till they hit bottom to look for food. Just a thought. I'm just glad someone is out there catching a few LOL.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip, these boys keep up this blue fishing thing we may have to hang our flats up, and go fish the big stream!! im a diehard flat guy, but 20 plus pounders everyday out... thats enough to convert anyone into a new religion...lol..rollo

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    rollo if you cast a 3 or 4 inch bluegill in the future on a nice hole in lower great
    or little Miami, lower scioto or lower muskingum river and you get a 20 lb flathead or 20 lb blue either way that would be a good day :big_smile:

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo I am tellin ya you guys need to come down and check it out man...:big_smile:, but I gotta be honest, I would rather be out on a boat in the middle of the night when its 70 degrees fishing for flats anyday...:roll_eyes: