Rough Day on the lake - Lost a Huge Blue Catfish!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 23, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yesterday was one of the roughest trips we have had in a long time. We were on the way to the lake around 4am after being up all night, and it's about an hour drive for us to the boat ramp near Pea Hill Creek. We were already about halfway there when we got a flat tire all of the sudden on our trailer, it happen all of the sudden and my dad actually lost control for a second and we slid all over the road and almost in the ditch! It was definitely a close call, but my dad managed to stop us safely, we got out and made sure everything was ok besides the tire. It was, and there was a trail beside a field right in front of us, so we pulled the boat into that and unhooked it. We didn't have a spare so we had to come all the way home and get a tire off our other trailer and it turned out the tire on it was smaller. Luckily not too small though to allow us to pull the boat to the boat ramp anyway. But now we weren't getting there until 8am and the sun was up making getting shad about impossible.

We went all around looking for shad on the fishfinder and there wasn't any huge concentration of them anywhere so eventually we gave up them and got some nightcrawlers. We cut them up and fished for White Perch, we drifted around a long time in Pea hill creek, then we fell asleep and when we woke up we had white perch on our poles...LOL! Well then we drifted again in the area and found a huge school of them, anchored and caught about 50 white perch (could have caught a lot more) a 5lb Blue Cat and about 15 small channel cats, all on the pieces of nightcrawler on the bottom.

Then we fished the mouth of the creek and Blue Cats were coming in schools, had many runs that we missed that were probably mostly eater size Blue Cats, we were using whole white perch for bait so most smaller fish were not hooked. Then action died off for a while and it was about 6pm when my dad got a 10 pound Blue Cat, then we got some more runs we missed when finally my pole that had not gotten bites the whole time just got slammed, my shimano baitrunner reel was screaming, line flying off of it like a marlin hit it. When I hooked the fish it pulled drag for about 10 seconds and then turned around and started heading the opposite way which was sort of in the direction of the boat, wasn't long until the fish was directly under me but still on the bottom. Only problem was, the fish was not tired at all and was rolling around really hard, I would get the fish off the bottom and then it just pulled drag and went back down. Then I finally had it about halfway up and it rolled several times and my 10/0 King Kahle hook popped out. When you have a fish straight down from you like that and the fish isn't tired yet you're in trouble unless your hook is not in the soft part of the fishes mouth and mine apparently was in the corner/soft part of it's mouth. My mistake was that I had my drag really tight for some reason, it was fine when the fish was still out from me, but when it got right under me I should have loosened it up.

I have caught many big fish in Freshwater and Saltwater, and this by far was one of my biggest fish ever. The weight on it was tremendous, I was using a very large rod and reel and the fish had it straining. I know for sure it was at least 50 pounds, but it's very likely it was in the 60's, my dad said he thinks the same.

Threw the cast net at our bait spot on the way out and caught about 200 small shad.

I will be trying to get back to the lake tommorow, I will land a big one soon, I know it!

I also will try to get pictures of the smaller Blue Cats we caught on here as soon as I can.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well zakk at least you know where a big one is at. i got one running around in badin with my hook attached too. i sure would like to get that hook out for the fishes sake.......lol. o with that big fish i forgot about your tire. i was dreaming.....lol. glad everything turned out ok.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Good report. At least you didn't go home empty handed and know the area where there is a big one. Hope you have better luck next time out.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

Yeah, I know where they are at, they run the same pattern every Fall.

The fish I lost didn't break my hook off because I use a snell, but I have been thinking about how it twisted out all day, next time when I get one straight under the boat I'm going to loosen my drag in case the hook is in the corner of it's mouth again.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, I think in all we got five Blue Cats from 4-10 pounds and a countless number of very small Channel Cats and Blue Cats. Was pretty fun besides the rain and wind. If we had known it was suppose to rain we would have been fine but we didn't know so we weren't dressed for it and got soaked.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Cant catch them all Zakk, leave some for me..:lol:

hate it that you lost the big one but at least your getting closer and closer to figuring out the lake...

better luck next time....

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I will try to leave you some, that's what our problem was last time....my dad had already caught all the big ones and left the small ones for us to catch.:lol:

I am going to break the 50lb mark soon, I know it!

8. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That really sucks too lose a big one but it will happen and when it does it will feel a lot more gratifying when you finally get that big one in the boat so good luck to ya nest time.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, I guess if we caught them everytime it would not be very exciting.

Good luck.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Wow, It sounds like that was one heck of a battle. Better luck next time. If I ever get a day off (28 straight now) I am coming to Gaston to do some fishing. How's the dam area this time of year?

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Two words My friend.....Lever drag!

Hook a biggun on a lever drag and you'll never want a star drag reel again

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Kerr Dam should be awesome fishing right now, bank fishing of course. All the way until the end of November can be great at Kerr Dam/upper end of Gaston. Fish mostly at night for the big ones!

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I was using the only spinning reel I have on this fish, but you're right the lever drags are much better for big fish but they seem to cost a lot more.:confused2:

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    some things are just worth it. I have 2 abu 7000 LD's. I can get a 7000c3 for $99 but I've opted to get the LD for $150. super sweet reels. 4 BB's and carbon fiber drag wahers. The new carbon fiber abu drag are as good or better then the penn drag. So now you can have the best of both worlds, a smooth , long casting reel and a rock solid drag........Sweet:cool2:

15. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Katmaster Jr., I just want to say I really enjoyed reading this post. That seemed to be quite a day for you and your dad. That's great that you are able to spend time on the water with your dad.
    Being fairly new to this board I have aquired a lot of knowledge about catfishing and I must commend you on your feature article on "fishing with slip bobbers". What a great job you did! I may be able to put some of it to use here in So. Cal.
    Keep up the good work and cherish the time you get to spend with your dad.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you, I do enjoy the times I spend with my dad on the water, whether we catch fish or not we have a good time. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed my slip bobber article and definitely hope you can use it to help you catch more fish.

Good luck!:smile2:

17. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Katmaster. I may have to contact you for some more info on the slip bobbers.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

Ok, please do feel free to ask me any questions you have, can't garuntee I can help but I will definitely try!

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm going to go after them again tonight at the lake, they should be biting great if this year is similar to previous years.

20. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Zakk, I had 2 fish that did the smae thing to me on the same trip this May. I'm pretty sure they were flatheads. It sounds like you may have hooked a flathead. Every big one I hook I can get to the boat and they just dive to the bottom and pell drag. It's a heck of a job to pull one straight up. Usually a blue will come up and run around like a striper. Flatheads head south and are surprisingly strong for their size. nice story and I know the feeling. later