Rough 3 days on Ft Gibson

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dirtdobber, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Monday we decided to go to Ft Gibson Lake for a week. Got over there and got set up, about 4:15 the next morning a bad storm hit. Just as I got a hold on the awning the wind took it over the trailer and I was about 5 feet off the ground before I could let go. It didn't hurt me but sure messed up the roof and sky lights on the trailer.
    Later that morning I finally got the awning rolled up enough to get it tied in place. At daylight I saw my boat was almost on the bank side ways. One good thing about aluminium boats is that gravel won't hurt them.

I got to fish yesterday afternoon, caught 5 channels about 2 lbs each, put them in my fish basket and they went out the bottom, don't know how, but the guy in the next camp spot has a new fish basket. Next time I will take time to fill my live well even if I'm fishing on the bank by my boat.

Got up this morning and said to heck with it and came home

Will get the travel trailer fixed and try it again.

2. DanHorsman

DanHorsman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had the same thing happen to my camper last year at Grand Lake. I picked up some replacement poles for my awning on Ebay for about 100.00 (much cheaper than new ones) They were very easy to install. Hope your next trip goes better than this one.

3. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    It took the brackets and arms so it all will have to be replaced. Called my insurance and they said get estimate for new awning, roof,skylight and antenna and send it to them.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry bout your camper Jim. A fellow can catch another mess of fish but campers cost alot of $$$. Better luck next time partner.

5. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Trips like that are miserable. Hope you have better luck next time.

6. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    No fun! Talk about paying dues... Hope all works out for ya

7. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    That's a terrible run of luck. I have almost done the exact same thing.

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Insurance came thru. The damage was $6549.00. That was the longest 5 minutes I have ever had. Travel trailer 75-100 yds on each side did not get any damage.

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Awning repair man told me once:" There are three days when you can put out an awning in Oklahoma. This ain't one of them."
    Sounds like yours wasn't either. Glad you got it fixed.