Rotten day on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    DougC and I met up Friday afternoon about 1:30 for a few hours of fishing on the Missouri. We put in at the Sibley/Fort Osage ramp and didn't have any problems launching.

From there, we headed about 2 miles downstream to the mouth of the Fishing River to hopefully get some shad. I threw the net for a good hour and caught about 4 small shad plus 1 little spoonbill about 12" long - cute little thing but not exactly what we wanted. I tried at the mouth of the river and we worked up probably 500 yards or so into the river until it got too shallow, but the shad were impossible to find.

So we went across the river to check out the area behind a wing dyke. Ended up getting the motor into some rocks that had washed off the dyke and almost getting high-centered on them. Threw the net a few times and caught proably a half dozen tiny little channel cats but only a couple more shad.

So we headed back up river a bit and found some water behind a trailing dyke and somehow managed to get the boat back in there (but not until I got the trolling motor *completely* buried in the mud twice) - the back water eventually dropped to a 15 ft hole with fish on the bottom so I tossed the net and came up with a 20 lb bighead carp. He won't be contributing to the gene pool anymore.

It's now been over 2 hours looking for bait with almost nothing to show - so we headed back out to the main river channel (got stuck in the mud again) and wanted to check the mouth of the Little Blue River for shad. The storms made the Little Blue run higher and faster than the Missouri, so no chance of finding shad.

Eventually got set up on an outside bend (after fighting the anchor, again) - 45 minutes, no bites but a lot of trash in the lines.

Went down just below the ramp where there is a huge boil and found that there's a hump that goes from about 25 ft deep up to about 12 ft and drops off just as quick, causing the boil. We marked fish on the backside of the hump but couldn't get the anchor to hold us in the right spot so ended up fishing the deep water behind the hump. Again, 45 minutes and no bites so we called it a day.

I hope the lack of shad was just because of the recent storms and cold front - otherwise it's going to be a tough winter for fishing on the river...

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Damn Marty Thats not what I wanted to hear!!!! I'm getting ready to go hit the Mo. right now, just waiting on Les to show and Andrew to call and let Me know how the bait gathering is going (He's already on the river)

We've been going to Olathe Lake lately to catch shad, But i'd rather not make that extra trip today.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Shad where non existent last sat. as well. Primitivefrn and I threw the cast nets more than I ever have and didn't show 1 shad for it. Luckly he brought perch and bullheads and carp with him.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Right now I'd settle for a rotten day if I could just get my boat on the river. I drove a hundred miles today trying to find a usable ramp. No luck. This sucks, talk about a long winter! Send us some water guys. PLEASE! I'd just love to get out there even if the fish weren't biting just so I could take some pics of the wing dikes and such that I've never seen before for future reference. A guy could learn a lot right now out there.

PS.. At least you got to kill a bighead!! Thanks.

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Marty, sorry about a bad day,I have never tryed to catch shad in the mouth of fishing river in the afternoon just in the morning. I dont think the fishing is going to be any good until the river stabilizes.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I've heard people joke about the fishing being so bad they couldn't even catch bait, sorry to hear it actually happened. If it makes you feel any better my 7 year old and I spent 8 hours watching the rods do absolutely nothing today on the river. Best part of the day (other than being out on the water with my son on a nice fall day) was watching my stupid dog jump off the bow into some prime MO river mud and instantly sink up to his belly. Made it almost worth not catching fish just to see the look on the little guy's face when he almost disapeared in the mud. Hope you get 'em next time

Branden

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Troy. Hope all is well. Did you try throwing your net in the deep water behind the dykes? I'm still finding shad, but they have moved quite a bit deeper. I'm catching some big Gizzard shads in 20 feet of water. Also catching quite a few 4-6 inchers on the windblown sides of the river next to the grass. good luck

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats funny Branden. I bet the look on his face was priceless. Wish you had some photos of him standing there up to his belly. :lol:

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Pics of Marty's pet spoonbill.

Attached Files:

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I've never netted spoonbill up fishing river, but I have netted alot of walleye.

11. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I was out on the river (not fishing) scouting for the Nov 11 deer season. We put in at the Marion acess, when we came back I threw the casting net a couple times for fun and had no problem getting shad, caught 40-50 in one throw. It must be location, I put in at the Marion access near Jefferson City.