The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy at work told me he used to leave store bought chicken out in sun for few days and did catfishing with the rotten chicken meet.

Anyone tried rotten chicken and had any success?

·
Banned
338 Posts
I've used it a couple times. Easier and less mess than liver. First time I just cut it into about 2in chunks and tried using it with a few fish caught. It stayed on the hook OK as long as you only ran the hook through it once. So make sure you hook into the thickest part if you use it.

The second time I tried it I did a little experimentation. Went to Save-A-Lot, sort of a value grocery store place, and bought a bag of their frozen skinless chicken breast. They're not very big breasts, and they're fairly thin, maybe an inch thick. I took about 4 of them out and let them start thawing. Once they were semi thawed I cut each one into 1 inch strips length wise. It's easier to cut when still half frozen, and far less mess. Once I had them cut into strips, I put them in a large container full of ice, salt, and garlic powder. Doing that utilizes a process called Osmosis, where the salt and ice water sucks out the natural chicken juices, and in turn whatever flavoring you have in the water is absorbed back into the chicken. In this case, the salt and garlic.

I left it sit in the bottom of the fridge over night. Took it fishing the next day, and would run a strip onto a 3/0 circle hook by going through one side and out the other, then running it back on again a bit further down the strip. Stayed on the hook great, and caught some very nice fish up to the 6 pound range consistently. Heard from another guy that recommended adding a little liquid smoke to the brine when you soak the chicken to add to the smell of it. I've been thinking about trying the liquid smoke, and going a step further, and curing the strips in salt for a few days after they soak up the brine mix. I imagine that would make them even easier to keep on a hook, and being cured, they won't be liquidy or messy, and they should keep for quite a while in the fridge.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Chicken is pretty good bait. I haven't used a lot of "foul" chicken (get it? lol!) but my mother in law bought these packed chicken thighs and breasts from the guys that invade neighborhoods in the little truck with a freezer in the back...they were pre-seasoned Italian and mid-west flavors. They were awful so she was going to throw them all out. I said "hell give 'em to me, I'll use them for bait!"...I did and one one day, I caught 8 nice channels from 18 to 26 inches in about 4 hours. I used them a few times more till I ran out and nearly always got a fish or two on them...the mid-west seasoning seemed to be the best!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to buy boneless chicken meat and keep part of those out side in the sun for two days before I go for fishing. Hopeing it will work good.

·
Banned
13,069 Posts
I've used it a couple times. Easier and less mess than liver. First time I just cut it into about 2in chunks and tried using it with a few fish caught. It stayed on the hook OK as long as you only ran the hook through it once. So make sure you hook into the thickest part if you use it.

The second time I tried it I did a little experimentation. Went to Save-A-Lot, sort of a value grocery store place, and bought a bag of their frozen skinless chicken breast. They're not very big breasts, and they're fairly thin, maybe an inch thick. I took about 4 of them out and let them start thawing. Once they were semi thawed I cut each one into 1 inch strips length wise. It's easier to cut when still half frozen, and far less mess. Once I had them cut into strips, I put them in a large container full of ice, salt, and garlic powder. Doing that utilizes a process called Osmosis, where the salt and ice water sucks out the natural chicken juices, and in turn whatever flavoring you have in the water is absorbed back into the chicken. In this case, the salt and garlic.

I left it sit in the bottom of the fridge over night. Took it fishing the next day, and would run a strip onto a 3/0 circle hook by going through one side and out the other, then running it back on again a bit further down the strip. Stayed on the hook great, and caught some very nice fish up to the 6 pound range consistently. Heard from another guy that recommended adding a little liquid smoke to the brine when you soak the chicken to add to the smell of it. I've been thinking about trying the liquid smoke, and going a step further, and curing the strips in salt for a few days after they soak up the brine mix. I imagine that would make them even easier to keep on a hook, and being cured, they won't be liquidy or messy, and they should keep for quite a while in the fridge.
Nate, if you're ever busy with not fishing, you can cook for me! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guy at work told me he used to leave store bought chicken out in sun for few days and did catfishing with the rotten chicken meet.

Anyone tried rotten chicken and had any success?
I have 1/4 inch construction mesh bait box tied on rope in my back yard ( we live on the river ) and that rotten chicken smell drives them crazy but they will inspect it and gather and make beds around it while it's down for a months ..after a week of it in bait box I throw fresh chicken livers on 3/0 to 4/0 catfish hook and we annihilate the big cats..haven't seen anything under 5 lbs come from our baited area..in fact so many passing boats come by and see the large amount of activities on the sonar that they themselves take advantage of lol ..I worry not knowing that there is plenty of cats left for me to fish..I even enjoy watching the son's and father's fishing together in boat enjoy seeing them reel in huge 20lbers all the time..I had one strip my reel the other day..came back with another heavily set up reel and nailed a 23.6 lb cat after 30 sec in the water..didn't even have time to set it right in the rod holder ..yes rotten chickens work very well..we also use all kinda strong extract too..ansie oil works best ( liqueurish) they love candy ..soak your baits and pva in ansie oil extract ( found in baking section at store) they will go nuts ☺

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,850 Posts
Watch that chicken....salimonalia ain't good....wear gloves....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watch that chicken....salimonalia ain't good....wear gloves....
That is true. I have caught some on chicken, but I tend to do better with some type of cut fish. Don't always have shad or bluegill, so I do use chicken. I usually use the chicken fresh. Sometimes I use garlic and/or jello.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts