rotary steering mounting ??

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ok, I have a question. My intention is to create a center console. I have a top to an old bass tracker that i will try to use. The steering cable is exiting thru side of top i need it to exit below. I did rotate the bracket to where the steering cable is down but the pitch is not enough. I would have to angle console top like i have done in the pic to get the steering cable to exit thru the bottom of the console. Should i scrap the old console top for a total new design including the proper pitch for the rotary mounting? Is there a better steering setup to accomodate the angle for steering cable? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I would build what I needed out of 1/4" plywood/epoxy...you're gonna have to fab the bottom half, anyway.

Somewhere, back in the cobwebed corners of my brain, I seem to remember some posts on here about custom consoles, and I think they were being done in OKC. Don't hold me to that, though. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine (that would be just about everyone) will see this and help you find it.

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I would like to find that too. might find me a pontoon one of these year and need to build a center console

4. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Anyone have pics of their mounted center console? A view from the top, side and bottom? I am in need of a visual. Thanks

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bo, here's pix of my console. It's a conversion from a side console. The top foot or so is the original, but everything from there to the deck is what I built to make it a center console.

My steering cable originally exited through the side as well but I got mine to work exiting through the bottom. The bend is a bit sharp and the steering was kind of tight until it got used to the bend, but other than that it works fine.

Good luck with your project!

Attached Files:

6. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thank you Branden! Those were very helpfull. It looks like i may have to start over with the console to accomadate the sharp down angle. The current console top would be to much work just for it to look like crud.

7. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Branden would it be to much trouble to get a pic of inside ur console? Of the bend the steer cable is making. Thanks

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll get you one up tomorrow - I tried it when I took the ones last night but I was being lazy and just stuck the camera under there and took the pic blind - came out about as good as you'd think it would so I didn't post it:smile2: