Ross Barnett Reservoir Jackson MS

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LarryG321, Jan 4, 2009.

1. LarryG321

LarryG321 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I went to Pelahatchie Bay Monday. The water was muddy and fished all day; finally caught two small channel cats on chicken liver. The wind was blowing too hard to fish the dam area.
    Larry

2. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I will tell you what, I have tried many baits over the last few years for catfish on the res. I have tried everything from stinkbait to chicken livers cured in garlic salt and even live bream. But the hands down best bait I have found for early spring through mid summer is "live crawfish" especialy the small crawfish. Another seceret is that you must break the claws off of them it makes a big difference I don't know why but it dose then hook them through the tail and get ready for some action!:smile2:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Have you tryed the lowhead dam up near Carthage I all ways did pretty good worming on shinners up there for :006:channels

4. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    sounds good

5. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I heard reports of catfish being caught of the trace on surf rods in about 5ft of water

6. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    went and caught a few cats at the spillway today tight lining

7. LarryG321

LarryG321 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thank you for the bait information, and I have never been up to Low Head Dam. Can you fish it from the bottom side (from a boat) or do you fish down to it from above?

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I know a few guys that catch lots of catfish there while fishing for crappie around the timber. There using minnows dropping down into the timber and brush. So you should be able to fish the same way and catch catfish? Also we catch this on Sardis lake like that. Even this time of year. Shoot I think of you drop in a cut up minnow the catfish would eat them up .
    Pete

9. perchtrap

perchtrap New Member

State:
    texas
    How about the flathead there on Barnett

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS

11. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I took my family jug fishing Tuesday morning for about three hours. We caught 30 blue cats, all on fresh cut shad. They would not touch the garlic chicken livers. We were fishing in 3ft to 8ft of water. I had 5 jugs in a 20ft hole and nothing touched those.

Perchtrap the flatheads should start up soon. I would use live bluegill and fish at night in 3 to 8ft. of water. I like to use bluegill caught from the same lake that I will be fishing. Scrape off a few of the scales to let more scent out. I have been collecting and freezing bread to bait up some holes just for catching live bluegill.

Hope that helps, Ronnie

12. LarryG321

LarryG321 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thank You I am going to use my throw net and catch shad next time