Rose of Sharon

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by puppypal, Aug 7, 2009.

1. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    A'right no green thumb here and last year Dh brough Home a bunch of what looked like sticks right that he called Rose of Sharon. I went online and potted the sticks and did as it was told and bam it bloomed and turned green. I am ok with that it stands like 5 foot tall at present with pretty blooms. COOL! Now for the problem last fall of course it went to lookn like a stick again...ok cool! But as spring approached i noticed green weed looking things in my white rock. Busy at work and didn't weed enough and lo and behold i have baby rose of sharons that are in my white rock. LOL does the normally happen with this plant? Freaky I must say. Potted the first one set it by the bird bath and back wall and bam babies lining the back wall.

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't know that they normally spread like that, but the seeds could've gotten spread around after it bloomed. I've got one I planted out back about 15years ago; it was in a small 1 gallon container. It is now about 12-15 feet tall, & about that big around. It's so hardy; it blooms all summer, even when it's very hot & dry. And the hummingbirds & butterflies seem to like it, too.
    Good luck with yours, & when you get a chance put some pictures on here.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those darn things up here are a pain,,, they will really spread,,,a bush hog can't control them,,,lol,,

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Flutterby's rose of sharron didn't grow for 5 years. She got it when it was about a foot tall and it was still a foot tall when I amended the soil that it was in.
    After the flower dies back, cut the seed pod off if you don't want babies.

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    the seeds will drop off and yep you will have more than you probably want..