Roplene?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by vlparrish, Feb 17, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Is anyone familiar with the hull material called Roplene? I was searching ebay and saw a boat made of a material called Roplene and the seller says it is superior to fiberglass in many ways. According to the seller Roplene will even float. Just wondering if anyone had a boat made of this material or had heard of it before. Vern

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    rotomolded plastic or polyethelene. Its tough.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Trumph makes a boat out of it, suppose to be supper tough, like break a baseball bat on it and not, damage the boat, seemed a little on heavy side and not any cheaper. about in line with fiberglass.
    Jim

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think the member "jim" from NC has a boat made of it and loves it.
    I'm sure he'll pipe up when he gets on.
    Its supposed to be alot stronger then glass in a few ways like impact.
    There is alot of glass in a glass boat. I've had the pleasure of sawing one up.
    It makes no sense to me why glass would be as popular as it is once you see how thick and heavy the stuff has to be to get the strength into a keel or a deck componet that can be walked on.
    Alot of unnecessary weight and better materials are available to build boats out of.
    I guess the cost of molding glass outweighs quality.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Rotomolded plastic tends to be heavy stuff. If considering buying a boat made of the it, you may want to ask about UV protection built into the plastic. Most fishing kayaks are made of the same stuff. While tough, they do get gouges in the hulls form things like reefs, gravel, and rocks. The gouges, for the most part, don't harm performance, but my not look that great. Regardless of what kind of UV protection the builder says is in the plastic, its best to wipe the surface down with Armor All or a product called 303 several times a year.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
  7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have owned the 21ft center console for 5 years and would never go back to fiberglass.Triumph is debuting their 23 ft which we have all been waiting for at the Miami boatshow.The stuff is tough as hell ,never fades and has total UV protection.It is far more impact resistant than FG but will gouge.None the less you can simply heat it and smoooth the gouges out.IT is far lighter than FG so you can go much faster with the same HP or save fuel.The first time I opened mine up it scared the hell out of me because we were going 55mph with the 200 Optimax on it.Very few people ever beat me across the dam from the tourney starts at Randolphs!!!!!:lol: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :cool2: :Being lighter it is also easier to tow and easier on the tow vehicle.They aren't the most beautiful boats but the later models out of the new molds are pretty sharp and shiny.Never have to buff that gelcoat.Best of all it does float,so the Titanic ll isn't going to sink.:lol: :eek:oooh: I hit a stump with mine at Santee going at slow Idle.Didnt see it and it hit right on the bronze thru hull fitting for the baitwell pump.The stump smashed the fitting flat but did NOT even make a mark on the hull.Screwed the old one out ,new one in ,no problem.I think FG would have shattered or cracked around the fitting.I highly recommend the boats.:smile2: